Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 An observation on OOP exploration
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Tutorials
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:02 am   Post subject: An observation on OOP exploration

I know that I've made my feelings on the Turing language and environment clear, but aside from that, I'd like to say something about Turing programmers themselves.

I see some students trying to piece together how classes and objects work in Turing. I also suspect from what I've seen and heard on this site, that most courses using Turing never really get that far, and that fewer still instructors are able to offer assistance.

That makes these students people to respect.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Clayton

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I don't really see what the big deal is wtd, I still think time would be better spent learning new languages Very Happy
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:48 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

It probably would be. However, it does show initiative, and all other things aside, I can respect that.
ericfourfour

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I learned OOP on Turing and I did it in my own time. However, I think it would have gone a lot faster if I knew how pointers worked and had experience dealing with them. Smile
uberwalla

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:58 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

see how it mostly goes at my school is that the teachers really dont know much at all about turing or even java. their mostly textbook readers. Shocked

most of the stuff ive been doing ive learnt by myself with help from people here at compsci. now im not saying im a good programmer but from what your taking about wtd your right. theres only one person in my school that i know thats gone further then what the class has done other then me. and he is trying to make a pokemon game lol. anyways i think that if most tech teachers that teach turing and some other languages were less textbook readers and more hands-on then there would be more classes that teach classes and stuff.

(now dont think if you are a teacher or someone who has teachers different that i am saying ALL techers are like this. [this is just my point of view that i have seen in my school])
ericfourfour

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I do not think that the teacher could teach OOP in the first year. The second year you learn Java. Why not save it for a language based solely around objects? This is how it is done at my school, so there is no point for the teacher to understand OOP in Turing.

This however, does not mean you will be taught proper OOP. Or actually taught it on a proper environment using a good compiler. For these reasons, I suggest learning OOP on your own well before your teacher teaches it (I would recommend at least 6 months prior). I also suggest learning it in a different language.
Clayton

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

IE. Ruby.

Ruby is an excellent language to learn OOP from, because in Ruby, everything is an object. Not to mention how easy it is to create and use your own classes, it really makes you want to do it. Very Happy
uberwalla

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:07 am   Post subject: (No subject)

the weirdest thing to what you said eric... at my school (highschool 9-12) turing is basically first 2 years then a bit of java at end of 2nd then java the next two. basically grd 9-10 turing 11-12 java
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
ericfourfour

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:46 am   Post subject: (No subject)

@Freakman
I agree, Ruby is an excellent choice. I started it today and I am thoroughly impressed. I was doing that online tutorial until I kept messing up the names repeatedly because I spelt "book" instead of "books". I then decided to download it and just go through wtd's tutorials. Smile

@uberwalla
You get programming in grade 9? You are lucky. Oh well, I guess that is what I get for going to a new school. Sad I bet the teacher could get away with putting off OOP until Java in that case too. I feel it came early in my school (no one knew how to make a method at the time).
uberwalla

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:04 am   Post subject: (No subject)

well mostly in grade 9 it was like tech and buisness. tech was like turing, auto cad, corel draw (LOL), adobe photoshop , html.
and then 10 is like html and turing only and there are then shop class, buisness and more. tech classes just start splitting into more categories at my school as grades move on lol. its confusing on what is in what class Shocked
Wolf_Destiny

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yeah...my CompSci teacher didn't know how to use arrays...'nuf said.

~Wolf Destiny
postcount++
Cervantes says: Posting for the sake of increasing your post count is disgusting. Such spammish posts will usually be deleted, and your post count won't increase. You'll also lose bits.
I say: I didn't mean anything by it, quite a few people have that as a signature, and many others end their posts the exact same way, and post smaller, less meaningful posts. Besides that I only had a small comment to make, and didn't feel like writing a larger post to say what I said. I also personally feel that my comment fit the context, and that it was a valid point. I am not out to increase my postcount, nor do I want more bits. I didn't join compsci.ca because of the bit system, or to try to have a huge postcount. I joined because its a great place to post programs for feedback, to ask and answer questions, and to read well written tutorials. So I'm sorry, alright?
Cervantes says: We cool, we cool.
ZeroPaladn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:52 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Wolf_Destiny wrote:
Yeah...my CompSci teacher didn't know how to use arrays...'nuf said.

Then your teacher sucked. Not to be rude, but arrays are grade 10/11 basics, and any teacher sanctioned to teach CompSci should know them.

My school system for programming is as follows:

• Grade 9 - none
  • Grade 10 - Turing/HTML
  • Grade 11 - Turing/VB6
  • Grade 12 - VB/Java/HTML

I downloaded Ruby a little while ago, I started teaching myself. Haven'g gotten very far, but I'm getting there.
ericfourfour

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Anyway, back on topic. I think a lot of this respect should go to cervantes for writing the tutorials on OOP in Turing or else I, along with many others, would not have learned it in Turing.
Cervantes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Thank you!

But then, whatever respect is directed towards me should be redirected towards wtd for teaching me the majority of what I know. Smile
Clayton

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:51 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Either way, I've learned a great deal more from both of you (Cervantes and wtd) than I ever did in class. Don't be so modest.
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Tutorials
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 26 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: