Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 A Future in Computer Science?
Index -> Student Life
Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Andy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

or just come to silicon valley. developers with bachelors here start at 75k usd + bonus.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
md

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Andy wrote:
or just come to silicon valley. developers with bachelors here start at 75k usd + bonus.

Uhh... I think you missed my point about job security... plus I would not take a job in the states no matter how much it paid. I much prefer Canada where laws are at least mostly sane and the politicians are not yet in the pockets of lobbyists.
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

all my cs jobs are boring as hell... projects either too ambitious or too nitty-picking.. either too constrained or too vague
Durf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:04 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Would you guys agree that if I'm already not liking it and finding it hard to motivate myself to do the work that I won't make it another 3.5-4 years?

I really want to go into Political Science (maybe double major with Urban Studies) but don't know where my future would lie after I graduate (especially financially).
Martin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

As an aside, programming isn't necessary to be a computer scientist. I went to a talk yesterday with Cormack, he described it like this. A person with a degree in music will find it greatly beneficial to know how to play an instrument. After they graduate, however, chances are they won't be making their money from playing their instrument.

Go talk to your professors, get them to tell you what's in store. Sit in on upper year classes to get a taste for it, even if you don't understand all of the details. And if you're really not liking it, switch out. You only live once.

Most importantly, don't do anything solely for the money, because you will find yourself unhappy and severely out-competed. Are you going to rise to the top of a field that you really don't care that much for? No chance in hell.
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:31 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Martin wrote:
Most importantly, don't do anything solely for the money, because you will find yourself unhappy and severely out-competed. Are you going to rise to the top of a field that you really don't care that much for? No chance in hell.

QFT

I've been looking into India and it's scary how the nation can just pick up new languages (Ruby!) as needed.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:51 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Durf wrote:
Would you guys agree that if I'm already not liking it and finding it hard to motivate myself to do the work that I won't make it another 3.5-4 years?

I really want to go into Political Science (maybe double major with Urban Studies) but don't know where my future would lie after I graduate (especially financially).

You'd become a lawyer. There's decent money in that. Can't say whether or not you'd enjoy it.

There is certainly a market for those with expertise in both computer science and political science. Our politicians are woefully naive about technology.
octopi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I'd recommend sitting in on POLISCI classes before you decide to switch, A friend tried to switch, but he found it hard, everyone is very oppinionated.

Plus if you want to become a lawyer, you'll need another few years after to acctually become one. I'm pretty sure its usually 7 years in total.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Durf

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Law school is an extra 2 years, assuming that I first get a bachelors degree (which is pretty much a requirement, very few get into Law without already having a degree), it would take 6 years.

I'm pretty sure I could get into Law school, but I don't know if it's something I want to do. Decisions, decisions.
Clayton

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Take a look around, or as someone suggested, sit in on a couple of classes that would suit that career path, quite honestly I think a bit of checking out what its all about is the best thing you can do to prepare yourself for a change.
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 2  [ 25 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: