Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Anyone NOT taking computer science at university?
Index -> Student Life
Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
shorthair

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well. The AMD project is news to me. I am quite interested in that now. Thanks for the link !!!!

I am in 2nd year at U of T. And my goal with both majors is to gain a thourough understanding of the politics in contemporary Africa including trade Laws and Internation Relations. I Started in First year with taking History Courses to help me understand how things are today.

My original goal was to do somthing good with my vast knowledge and passion for computer Science. I was always pushed to follow what i was good at. And later pushed to do somthing useful with it. I took it upon myself to research types of projects and needs that hte world had. I took a striking intrest in Telecomunications in Africa.

But Let me stop for a second and elaborate on my goals. I am not interested in Civilizing Africa , i am very much against Western Penetration in Tribal and Non western Africa ( Congo , Madagascar , Ethiopia etc etc) the fforts currently in place to evolve them in terms of politics and lifesyle (religion etc) i find disgusting. But thats a whole different argument.

I want to give the people that WANT access to information, the ability to have it. I do not want to FORCE nor penetrate those who are uniterested or happy with their lifestlye.

So my appeal is mostly for Students in High Schools and Universitys that want to come to The Americas and to People who live in Parts of Africa that are western cultured ( ie South Africa). There is a great need to educate those who seek education. I want to be a middle man in helping people in Africa. to be able to give someone the resources to worldwide knowledge and Technical Skills to fuel their ideas and passions.

I cant imagine the talent that is untapped.

So to finish off this long post. I plan on moving to Africa and helping companys and organizations in efforts to give student saccess to computers and the internet. Also to set up Tlecom and Networks between Hospitals and Universitys to Share information and resources. And finally to Alow people to educate themselves on matters such as AIDS and Politics. To many peopel follow blindly becuase they believe what leaders tell them and what their friends and family say. When information is Scarce one is unable to make an informed decision.

Gah that was long and very messy. sorry if its to radical or to much in too little space. Dont have much time right now.

Regards
Shorthair
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

noble goals. thumbs up
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

good stuff. You could get yourself involved with volunteer groups such as Engineers Without Borders, the goal of which is to bring technology and knowledge to development nations, to provide the neccessaties of life (such as clean(er) water, basic infrastructures, skill and knowledge. I'm sure that UofT would have a chapter.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Neo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Tony wrote:
Neo wrote:
Mechatronics Engineering UofW

Are you in my class? Confused

Yes I am. Razz
Genesis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:21 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Film, Ryerson University.
Dan_

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I'm doing computer engineering.
Delos

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Double Honours in Biology and Psychology at McMaster University. My classes are big! But at least the female:male ratio in all my psych classes is about 9:1! Wait, is that really a good thing...?

Edit: Shorthair, start taking Anthropology courses now! If you haven't already that is. Honestly, if you've spent your entire life in North America, going to Africa is going to be a bloody huge culture shock for you. No matter how many documentaries you watch or how many books you read. Plus, the mentality over there is really quite different from here, which could leave you scratching your head as to why no-one wants your help. And I'm not just saying these things because I feel like it - I speak from first hand experience. Just the other way around ^_^. Moving to Canada, I thought I'd have no problems at all adjusting - heck, I was moving into a "civilized" (cough, cough) country...the sort of which had been portrayed in books and movies for as long as I had been alive. Did that help? Meh, a little. Still got hit by the shock though. I can only imagine that moving the other direction would be a smitten tougher.

But yeah, noble goals. Anthro will help you achieve them!
timmytheturtle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:51 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Electrical Engineering, Humber College.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
War_Caymore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:33 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Consructional Techologial Engineering (a.k.a. i build skyscrapers) at Sault College.
shorthair

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:52 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Delos : ummm im not sure how much of my post you read.

Im doing a double major in Computer Science & African Studies.
The African studies part takes care of every bit of Culture , Politics , Internation Relation , Food , Lifestyle. just about anything you can imagine.
Also Ive been to many a part of hte world. Only just settled down in Canada. Lived most my life in Hong Kong , Japan , and England. and spent many many months throughout some of the poorest places in the world.
Im by no rights ready for many things but trust that I am attempting to take hte correct course of preperation.

And just a note. teh part of africa im going to work in has bigger skyscrapers than Toronto. and probably more rolls and ferraris than you have ever seen,
Delos

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Fair enough. Anthro still rocks though!
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 2  [ 26 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: