Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Another university or collage question thingy
Index -> Student Life
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:48 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Mazer wrote:
I still don't get Nascar as a sport. But then, I don't really get spending a day to watch it.

While I also fail to see the appeal, driving a car at high speeds around a curving track for long periods of time is mentally and physically exhausting. It is a surprisingly impressive achievement to be able to maintain focus and endurance long enough to complete such a race.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
md

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Mazer wrote:
Things I don't count as physical activity include the likes of standing on a multi-thousand dollar vehicle...

So you'd rule out the around-the-world-alone race? Wink Seems to me like sailing around the world alone (and backwards too... against wind and current) is pretty sporting...

I think there are two types of geeks; there are the nerdy geeks who play dnd and don't play sports or know girls, and there are the hippy geeks who play sports and get sun; and most importantly know girls. There is definitely some mixing of the two types, but that's pretty much how I see it.
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:52 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Cornflake wrote:
Mazer wrote:
Things I don't count as physical activity include the likes of standing on a multi-thousand dollar vehicle...

So you'd rule out the around-the-world-alone race? Wink Seems to me like sailing around the world alone (and backwards too... against wind and current) is pretty sporting...

I think there are two types of geeks; there are the nerdy geeks who play dnd and don't play sports or know girls, and there are the hippy geeks who play sports and get sun; and most importantly know girls. There is definitely some mixing of the two types, but that's pretty much how I see it.

The latter type is much more likely to make forays into the world of the former, than vice versa.
Regeane

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wtd wrote:
While I also fail to see the appeal, driving a car at high speeds around a curving track for long periods of time is mentally and physically exhausting. It is a surprisingly impressive achievement to be able to maintain focus and endurance long enough to complete such a race.

Apparently one can lose up to 10lbs in just one race... I'd say that falls under physical sport.

Cornflake wrote:
I think there are two types of geeks; there are the nerdy geeks who play dnd and don't play sports or know girls, and there are the hippy geeks who play sports and get sun; and most importantly know girls.

And then there's just some girls who like geeks, cause they're so much more interesting. :p
codemage

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:00 am   Post subject: (No subject)

The word "geek" is actually undergoing some language change.

Now that geeks own the world, the term isn't quite so derogatory. It implies technical mastery - kind of like the word "hacker" before it became synonymous with "cracker" & criminality. It's ok to be a geek.

The old useage of geek is covered by the ever-derogatory "nerd".
Regeane

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

So supposed 'geeks' would now be cooler than supposed 'nerds'? I always took it the other way... Or maybe I'm just totally mixed up.
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I allways thought nerd was some one who is upsesed with school to the point where it is there life and that geek was some one who had an above then averge intrest and/or knowgale in/of thecnogly.

I think geek is aucatly postive in some ways, well nerd is not. But thats just my option and hardly a dictory defftion.

Also i think it is sad that word "hacker" has become raped so bad by the media. I like the orginal meanings of "some one who programs for fun/.", "some one who tests/pushes the limits of a system.", "some one who hacks together code or others code. Where hacks means to chage from it's orginal purposes to do somthing difrent or to code in a fast, dirty way that is like using ducktape on somthing."

Don't even get me started on "hacker" speak witch peoleop call 1337 speak. I have yet to find some one i consider a hacker under any deftion who speaks in 1337. (That could be b/c i try not to know peoleop that speak in 1337 all the time....)
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
codemage

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:25 am   Post subject: (No subject)

1337 speak automatically precludes someone from the hacker designation.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Slaivis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

codemage wrote:
1337 speak automatically precludes someone from the hacker designation.

I agree. People who speak '1337' usually prove themselves to be idiots pretty quickly.
Clayton

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ya the whole 1337 speak thing.... its just not my thing but anyways... as for the difference between nerds and geeks here it is: nerds are the people that decide to stay home and study into all hours of the night while theres a party going on next door, geeks on the other hand are at that party having a good time and making some good money selling the answers to tomorrows test to some idiots Very Happy (i fall under the latter), oh and a geeks girlfriend doesnt have to be geeky, take mine for example...
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 4 of 4  [ 55 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: