Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Another university or collage question thingy
Index -> Student Life
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Andy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

books does not cost 13 hundred.. i spent maybe 300 first term and 150 on the second. and what's this "others" fee, and how did it add up to 2k? i'd say 500 is plenty. there i just knocked 3k off. so yeah 14k per year is more than enough.

reality check, your parents saved up 120k for your university? were they planning to send you to Ivy or something?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
codemage

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:50 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Reality Check wrote:
I also have a job at Staples and just about all the income goes into my bank account

...I'd like to ask this though, how benficial is it to stay for Masters? I didn't really plan on doing it but I've heard many people say that if they can, then go for it.

A - good plan - keep saving. If you end up with extra savings, you'll be ahead of the game if you ever decide to buy a house, etc.

B - what is your reason for wanting a masters? Will you be more eligible for advancement or will you be compensated in your place of employment for having one? ...or is this for purely intellectual advancement? Wink
Reality Check

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:00 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

No, they didn't save up that much. What we did was buy 4 peices of land in Iran (my home country) at a combined cost of about 30k. That money has risen to about 120k now should we decide to sell them. They said its all going to me. I don't want to be cut financially. While in University, I want to focus 100% on the studying and not worry about money. I also want to rent a nice house there. If I have money left over after high school (most likely will), then I can do so many things with it. I could save that up, get a good job, and then I can put a nice down payment much faster than usual. Also, getting a masters is all about credentials. I mean if an employer is employing someone to his company and narrows it down to 2 people, one with a Masters and the other doesn't...I think he'll go for the masters. Of course its not guaranteed because the guy without the masters could be just as good, so I'm not sure yet. We'll see how it pans out. I could always do my 4 years, search around for a good job for a while and if I don't get one, I could always go back for my masters can't I? If I do get one then theres no need to get a masters.
Andy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

to me a large portion of university is about growing up, and being independent.. but i suppse you can live in your parent's house til your 30 Razz jk
Reality Check

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:31 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I'd prefer my University to be a medium distance. If I go to University close to home, I can expect lots of visits, and also be expected to visit quite often...thats just how my parents are. Not too far either I have to keep family close. So the distance would be good if its too far for weekly visits and continuous contact but not far enough to go visit once every 2 or so weeks. Thats why I like Waterloo
Andy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:27 am   Post subject: (No subject)

i hope you realize living away from your parents but using their every penny does not really count as being independent
Reality Check

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:24 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Well I'm going to be working of course. I work now and most of my income goes in the bank. I don't think anyone can really pay for their own University without SOME help from parents.
Andy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

my parents only paid for first term, and even that, if i wasnt buying a car, i'd pay it back to them
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
codemage

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:52 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Reality Check wrote:
If an employer is employing someone to his company and narrows it down to 2 people, one with a Masters and the other doesn't...I think he'll go for the masters.

If you're choice of employment is heavy on theory or research in your Master's area of expertise, then definitely yes. Otherwise, many fields will take someone with a good portfolio over someone who'se only experience is in the sanitized world of academia.

Oh... and I spent $1200 on books in my 1st year. As soon as you find out what books are assigned to your classes, start shopping for used versions.
md

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:28 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I've enver spent more then $400 a semester, and I *only* buy new books. Methinks the trick is knowing which books are *required*, and which ones are only *strongly recomended*. Get the required ones, check the strongly recomended ones out of the library if needed, or borrow from a friend.... or check the pirate bay Wink

I found that the most expensive thing about living away from home was food. It's very difficult to get by on < $25 a week for food, and even that is a rather pitiful amount to eat.
- IzAk -

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Ouch <25$ a week on food, i dont think i could survive with that, you people are nuts... i'd say i'd spend about 70+ dollors on food a week at any given place. but man theres alot of financial dispute on pricing for collage or uni. eh? but al lthis input is really helping me out, thx alot...
md

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I didn't say I did get by on <$25... it was probably closer to $30-$35 a week. Cooking all your own food is key; eating out or buying lunches on campus can get real pricy quickly.
Andy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I cook my own meals and it still costs 50 bucks a week.. but thats cuz i eat at least a pound of meat and drink a litter of milk + juice per day =P
md

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Andy wrote:
I cook my own meals and it still costs 50 bucks a week.. but thats cuz i eat at least a pound of meat and drink a litter of milk + juice per day =P

Have you checked out St. Jacob's market? You can get *really* good deals on meat there Wink
McKenzie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:36 am   Post subject: (No subject)

From my experience a Masters is great if you plan on going into R&D or back into higher education. Some companies are not that impressed by a Masters. With a Masters you become very skilled/knowledgable in one very specific area. Most companies plan to train you in the way they do things and want you to be as well-rounded as posible. Quite frankly a lot of real companies would rather see that you were the captain of a Curling club than see a Masters on your resume. That said, top end companies look for very specific people to fill very specific needs. If you happen to be that person then you are in demand.
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 4  [ 55 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: