Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 which school is the best
Index -> Student Life
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
md

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Heck, I have a job now where I don't even get most weekends. I get one night a week and sometimes every second weekend. People who sit at home all summer or worry about getting a summer break piss me off... the summer is just a time when you get to work super hard and make money; instead of hte winter when you work less hard and have to pay for things.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
r.3volved

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:58 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I get to wake up, have a smoke and let the dog out, go downstairs, open my store at 9am, sit at my computer and program and talk to noobs all day and then close at 9pm...usually work continues until I go to bed
whoo how exciting Rolling Eyes
codemage

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:43 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I'm shocked that you guys haven't heard of Fanshawe. It's bigger than most of the Universities in Canada (24,000 students). I'm pretty sure the 6 month hire rate in the IT program is around 97-98%.

Their CS / IT program works in conjunction with the CS dept at UWO: they share some course materials, some profs teach at both places, and apparently, some course credit is transferrable.

Oh... and summers are obviously for world travel. Very Happy
1of42

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Dan: If you have 2 identical students with the same grades, one who went to Waterloo, the other who went to Lakehead, who do you think is more likely to get hired?

Like someone else said, part of what you get out of university is the brand name - and for that reason, absolutely discarding a university's reputation is not a smart move for your future.

Now, on an unrelated note, Dan, you seriously need to stop taking everything I say as a personal flame. When I say "ignoring reputation is stupid", that doesn't mean I'm calling you stupid, any more than saying that "jaywalking is stupid" means I'm calling every jaywalker in the world stupid.

You seem to have serious bias towards Lakehead. Read through your previous posts - every time university is mentioned, you attempt to belittle the reputation of other highly respected universities (read: Waterloo) as essentially meaningless, saying outright that all CS programs are "the same". Are you bitter about not getting into Waterloo or something?

As for there being "no facts" in this debate, how about the facts r3volved posted about the preference for hiring frmo Ontario universities? That seems like a useful fact to me. And, frankly Dan, a university's reputation is fact enough, in many cases. Universities don't get a great reputation by being crappy - they get a great reputation by being GREAT.

Now, remember to notice that I haven't flamed you once in this post. Read it, and try to understand it independently, as difficult as that has seemed for you to do in the past.

Though I guess I won't know one way or another, since you're not replying to this post. Smile
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Quote:

Frankly, between an A and a B+, a university with any sense would realize that Waterloo is a far more rigorous university, and that a B+ at Waterloo represents a much higher calibre of student than a A at York. Frankly, they're in different leagues.

Completely disagree. if you spend time to do your homework, there is absolutely no reason for you not to get a A at least in a theoretical math course, Waterloo or not. People and even professors like to believe that Waterloo students are better than others but personally I wouldn't say this is not true.

Waterloo is better because of her reputation, as well as the coop process which provides hands-on experience. This says nothing about calibre of the students here. But Waterloo do attract a fair amount of talent, more than most other universities in Canada.
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 3 of 3  [ 35 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: