Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Waterloo University
Index -> Student Life
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Andy wrote:
actually, the feds dont support the CCC, or the CCF, actually, they dont want any religious associations at all... but since the CCC and CCF started before the feds, there isnt really too much they can do about it

Your telling me that your own studtion union/federation do not have control of there own clubs? Shocked
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Brightguy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:52 pm   Post subject: Re: Waterloo University

Okay, so I didn't choose Waterloo for its sense of community. Actually I didn't even bother thinking about the community. A community ranking seems largely dependent on the individual person... everyone will have a different opinion what makes a strong community.

About the CCC, now that you point it out, I realise how cool a comparative religion club would be. The sad thing is you wouldn't be able to find many, if any, diehards willing to do presentations and stuff though.

Why get so offended if you see a poster for an event, though? You are not being pressured to go, all you have to do is ignore it. Maybe I'm just used to it, since I've seen stuff like this my entire life... I remember Christian promotions back in primary school, and it was a public school.
Andy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hacker Dan wrote:
Your telling me that your own studtion union/federation do not have control of there own clubs? Shocked

okay, so what if the feds wants to cancel the club, what valid reason could they possibly come up with? and there are alot of christians at uw, not all of them are in ccc, but i'm sure they are all against getting rid of it.
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:00 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Andy wrote:

okay, so what if the feds wants to cancel the club, what valid reason could they possibly come up with? and there are alot of christians at uw, not all of them are in ccc, but i'm sure they are all against getting rid of it.

Ummm the brain thing alone whould be enought to yell at the club or at least warn them. As i side you can not put relgiuses propganted in public/student space, it just is not right. Also there clubs mission stament i find offisve and i peroanly blive it makes the club excusive. (idk about u of w but lu dose not alowy limited member ship clubs.)

And to Brightguy, i do not find what is on the poster offsive but rather that they are alowed to place it in stuiont space and that they are alow to have a club that is so exterm it becomes excusive in memebrship.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I'm pretty sure that it's not exclusive. From what I understand, they'd love to have some non-religious people join (and then convert them)..

now if I was to join and then be denied certain things such as running for an executive position on the basis of lack of faith.. that would violate some rules and be basis for club dismissal.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I have no problem with it. I don't mind the CCC existing as long as I am allowed to join it (even if I don't intend to). If they started saying "Christian only" or "no gays allowed" then I'd have a huge problem with it, but that's not the case. There are a ton of clubs at University, the majority of which I have no interest in joining, but that doesn't mean that other people don't or that these clubs shouldn't receive funding.

As for exclusivity, the only way that some clubs can restrict entry is by faculty. For example, with the computer science club at Waterloo, funded by MathSoc (which in turn is funded by math students as part of tuition) , an Engineering student can't vote or be an exec, although they can still join the club. The school also has a number of Feds clubs open to everyone.
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:58 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I did not mean that it was excuslive in that you could not thecagly join but that if you did you whould be preshured to chage your blifes systems and that u whould not be treated with equality.

I blive that they allready warent atacion agisted them from there "do you argrea with brain" campain alone.
md

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:34 am   Post subject: (No subject)

That's it. I'm joining the CCC, telling them I'm gay; and running for a position on the board.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Andy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:24 am   Post subject: (No subject)

LOL!... i guess you can sue for sexual preference discrimination if they dont vote for you...
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:48 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

It almost makes me whont to chage schools to u of w just to mess with them.
md

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:36 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Wait; second thought I'll say I'm bi. That way my having a girlfriend currently doesn't tip them off... if only I were less ill so I could put this plan into action.
Flikerator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Do you need a good english mark to get into waterloo? ^^;
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:51 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I would think it's the same for any University. As long as your average is admisable, and any individual mark is not particularly horrible (below 60?) it should not be a problem to get in (unless you're applying for some English major...)
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Brightguy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:37 pm   Post subject: Re: Waterloo University

Well, I'm still not quite sure what I'm missing by not being in co-op... Thinking Also in the second post Cornflake said you can apply to most co-op programs as regular student, which I wasn't aware of... (doesn't it kind of defeat the purpose?)

(P.S. I'm not sure if it was the CCC but I spotted some more sidewalk chalk text a few days ago, "JESUS LIVES".)
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

What you're missing out on is being drunk in the streets of Tokyo. Akihabara is a total brainfuck.
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 4 of 5  [ 71 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: