Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Waterloo University
Index -> Student Life
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
md

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:56 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Residence is fully equipped yes. Not all the residences are apartment style though; so if that's what your looking for you should be sure to choose the right ones.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

residences costs twice as much as you would have renting a place on your own. keep that in mind if you are not rich.
Martin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:00 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

bugzpodder wrote:
residences costs twice as much as you would have renting a place on your own. keep that in mind if you are not rich.

And not tax deductible. Honestly, res is a huge rip-off. You can have way more fun if you find a house, because nobody's going to be bitching at you for making too much noise on a Friday night.
Brightguy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:58 pm   Post subject: Re: Waterloo University

Andy wrote:
if you come to waterloo, definitely do co op, other wise, you're wasting your time.

Uh, I'm going to need to some explanation on that please. (No particular reason...)

Hacker Dan wrote:
Think about other unis, Lakehead is a gr8 uni and we have one of the best student unions. We have gr8 residences witch are not 10 sotrys high and have a much greater censes of comunity. Also we do not have the chisrtion cursade for chirst runing around on there cursades.

Can you really say that objectively, though? Have there been studies done on the "sense of community" in residences?

And your point about UW having a Christian club... you were joking, right?
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:49 pm   Post subject: Re: Waterloo University

Brightguy wrote:
Andy wrote:
if you come to waterloo, definitely do co op, other wise, you're wasting your time.

Uh, I'm going to need to some explanation on that please. (No particular reason...)

It simply defines the Waterloo experience.

Brightguy wrote:

And your point about UW having a Christian club... you were joking, right?

Actually he's not. Campus Crusade for Christ. Since they've updated their website, I'm unable to find the list of all the Universities, but they have clubs in quite a few.

We also have a Campus Crusade for Cheese.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Brightguy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:08 am   Post subject: Re: Waterloo University

Tony wrote:
It simply defines the Waterloo experience.

Theoretically speaking, if one wasn't in co-op, just how much of a "waste of time" is it?

Tony wrote:
Actually he's not. Campus Crusade for Christ. Since they've updated their website, I'm unable to find the list of all the Universities, but they have clubs in quite a few.

We also have a Campus Crusade for Cheese.

Heh, yeah I've heard about both clubs... but he listed that as a reason why Lakehead was better, and you really shouldn't let it influence your university choice.
Martin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:48 am   Post subject: (No subject)

The Campus Crusade for Christ people are weird, but you don't have to deal with them. They might be in the student hall giving away Bibles sometimes, though.
Brightguy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:46 am   Post subject: Re: Waterloo University

hmm, I'm also uncomfortable labelling the group 'weird' unless it's in a joking context. Basically, I think when dealing with religion we should go out of the way to have religious tolerance.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Martin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:17 am   Post subject: (No subject)

They're just really aggressive in recruiting, doing stuff like putting sidewalk chalk all around campus or handing people Bibles (like actually going up to people and giving them a Bible). They did that to me once, so I said "oh yeah, I'll get that for ya" and threw it in the garbage.
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:08 am   Post subject: Re: Waterloo University

Brightguy wrote:

Can you really say that objectively, though? Have there been studies done on the "sense of community" in residences?

Yes, and i ment in the hole uni not just residence.

Quote:

Heh, yeah I've heard about both clubs... but he listed that as a reason why Lakehead was better, and you really shouldn't let it influence your university choice.

I whon't go to a uni that dose not respect my relgouses rights. The CCC gose so far that they could be sued and prsuceted under serveral laws as wells as the univsrity constions. If U of W had a funcational studtion union or "feaderation" such problems whould be dealt with imteatly.

At LU we get upset over the engeries puting sligthy sexist coments in there own newspapers never mind clubs runign around pastering it on walls, ect.

Edit: Also i did not mean what u where quoting as LU is better then U of W but in that it is difrent and they are both good but one could be better for difrent peoleop/reasons. Overall, as i side b4 most unis in ortaion are about equal overall.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
cool dude

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:13 am   Post subject: (No subject)

does anyone know if york university is good for compsci. its close to my house so i wouldn't have to pay for residence, but i'm not sure if its good for computer programs.
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well the best way to start checking in to that is to see if they have a real compsci progame. By real i mean that you can go in to a progame called "computer sciences" as soon as you go there and you do not have to take a year of general sci 1st.

Next i whould check to see if they have profs with phds in computer science. And if they have a computer science deparment/school. Also check to make shure that the degrea you get from doing there computer science progame is a BSc (or a math one, tho i think most maths are a BSc) and not an arts one (i have seen some unis with a arts compsci degrea as crazy as that is).

If they have the above and are an offical uni then i whould say that they whould be fine and that u should next check in to there psyhcitices (comp labs, ect) and the more social services they provied (studion union, learning assitecen center, ect).
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Brightguy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:27 pm   Post subject: Re: Waterloo University

Martin wrote:
They're just really aggressive in recruiting, doing stuff like putting sidewalk chalk all around campus or handing people Bibles (like actually going up to people and giving them a Bible). They did that to me once, so I said "oh yeah, I'll get that for ya" and threw it in the garbage.

Okay, I have to admit, if I saw that happen I would probably laugh, because it would seem so unexpected to me. But really, doing that is not productive - at best they would just ignore you and at worst it's promoting unnecssary hate.

Hacker Dan wrote:

I'm curious why you are so sure of this...

Hacker Dan wrote:
I whon't go to a uni that dose not respect my relgouses rights. The CCC gose so far that they could be sued and prsuceted under serveral laws as wells as the univsrity constions.

I don't know everything the CCC has done, but I have to say I haven't found them a problem. Ok, so the sidewalk chalk thing from last year wasn't the best idea, but I wouldn't change universities because of it.

Last year I was walking into the SLC and some guy goes "want free stuff?", so I say ok and take a package. It had a bible, some pamphlets, a DVD and some other book. (I'll get around to reading it sometime...) This year I saw a poster about a presentation called "Faith and the Intellect", which intrigued me, but I had class at the same time so I couldn't go. I did make the Q&A session and from what I gathered he was using some form of a First Cause argument. They had the same book there from last year, as well as the same DVD I think. Anyway, afterward it struck me that having presentations like this, where no one is pressured to go, is the perfect way to get their point across.
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:31 pm   Post subject: Re: Waterloo University

Brightguy wrote:

Hacker Dan wrote:

I'm curious why you are so sure of this...

Beacuse maclaines study says so? Pictualry under "value added".

Also because i have talked to srever u of w studens who have many complates about there studention fedaration.

Reaosns why i think lakehead has a better scnese of comunity:

1. we are a smaller school, every one knows every one.

2. we have a more funcatal stuion union (i could go in to reasons why i blive this if u like)

3. the city we are in is quite islocated so the only reasable way out is by plane. Or driving for 2 days just to get to clivation. This makes the sution popualtion close togher for the full year and almost forces you to be invaled with lakehead and the small srundsings or be locked up in your room all year.

4. Residence wise we divded our floors or areas in to houses that compent agisted other houses much like in more tiredation schooling systems found in eurpen areas. This leads to a strong scnes of comunity among our house and most peolaop stay in the same house for as long as they stay in rez.

Once angain i can not state strongy enought that this dose not make lakehead better but difrent from other unis.

Quote:

I don't know everything the CCC has done, but I have to say I haven't found them a problem. Ok, so the sidewalk chalk thing from last year wasn't the best idea, but I wouldn't change universities because of it.

The reasons why i am applaed by the CCC is the flaowing reasons:

1. The CCC is a stiudion club meaning that your moeny gose to fund them or at a least suport there meetings and pritning costs.

2. There mission stament actactly has things in it that make the club exclusive and states things like there mission is to convert studetions to christ.

3. They post relgiuse porpgande in stuion owned and univseriy owned places. Thess places are considerd public and the student ones are funded by studens.

4. They push there blifes on others both inside and out side of there meetings.

Wethere you mind this or are offend by it or not dose not effect it being wrong or right. What dose is that 1. at some studetions are effected by it witch means the stuion fedaurtion has to atack (at least at LU it whould) and cleary they are not and 2. public and stuion places should be relgion free. The only excpetion to this is when there is an offical relgions event going on like a CCC meeting. Witch is in such a place that it is not forced apon any one.

Why i whould not go to a uni that suported somthing like the CCC. Simpley i do not whont to suport somthing that is going to be baised to one relgion or another. Stundent space should be religon free it is that simple.
Andy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

actually, the feds dont support the CCC, or the CCF, actually, they dont want any religious associations at all... but since the CCC and CCF started before the feds, there isnt really too much they can do about it
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 3 of 5  [ 71 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: