Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Grade 10 Computer Engineering Technology class?
Index -> Student Life
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
x

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:29 pm   Post subject: Grade 10 Computer Engineering Technology class?

I'm already taking Computer Science class next semester but I also signed up for Comp. Engineering Tech. Since Tuesday is the last day to change classes, I would like to know what you would do in this class, just so I can find out if I am still interested.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
MysticVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well depending on your school for compsci, you will either program in VB or Turing, so check out VB/Turing tuts and look to see if you like it, Comp Eng grade 10 mostly deals with programming in Turing but with stuff like parallelput and parallelget. It spends most time on the compsci rather than engineering for a grade 10 course but I might be wrong, it really depnds on your school.
brenn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

In Comp Eng at my high school, they actually did an engineering project (some sort of a remote controlled car), and things like circuitry and logic gates. There was minimal overlap with computer science, I believe.
Dan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:00 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

In my grade 12 Comp Eng we did a robot wars thing as our final project. But they could not be remote controled and had to have there own AI. If you pushed them out of the area u win. If yours cought on fire you lose.

For my grade 12 Comp Sci, i was the only one in the class and it was lonely =p. But i did alot of work from a u of w unversity text book (aucatly i did every chaterper) and then a fainly projgect witch prity much was make any progame as long as it was well designed, decumented and use all the skills you learned in the class. For mine i made an RPG API for java.

My CompSci when somthing like this:

Grade 10: Turing
Grade 11: C++
Grade 12: Java

Unviersity is not so langune based and teaches more to the conspects then the langune witch makes sceens. But the langs in used in you are:

Year 1, semster 1: C
Year 1, semster 2: C/C++
Year 2, semseter 1: C/C++
Year 2, semester 2: Java and ASM (assembly)
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
cool dude

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

it really depends on the school. if u like computers then u will like it. in my school it went like this

grade 10: Turing
Grade 11: VB
Grade 12: Java

for computer engineering in Grade 10 u do absolutely nothing fun!!! in grade 11 all u do is a trafic light system, but as MysticVegeta mentioned u mostly program it on the computer in Turing. in grade 12 it gets a lot better because u actually first design joy sticks, and then for your final project u can do anythin u want!!! (Freedom). i see people doing remote control cars, bridges, cranes. a really good one i saw recently although it was a little advanced was a baseball throwing device. u know those things that ppl use to practice baseball that shoot out a ball at u. pretty neat project (although it was used with ping pong ball, because motors to weak at school).

Anyhow if u like computers and thinking of goin into the field i strongly recomend taking the comp courses
wtd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:31 am   Post subject: (No subject)

If you're going to be taking a course that includes programming, don't think you're limited to whatever programming language the course uses. There are likely easier languages to learn, and the concepts you get a grasp on there would help you with whatever language the course uses.
blaster009

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:40 am   Post subject: (No subject)

We're just introducing engineering at my school...From what I've heard, you cover the very basics of computer programming. However, the course IS an engineering course. This means you'll be focusing on the actual hardware part of computers (like the processors, and how they work) instead of the software (the programs that we write to run on the hardware). You'll probably be poking around with switchboards, boolean logic, binary, robots and the like. At my school, Lego Mindstorms is a big part of the course, and you'll probably get a chance to look at that. It's a very interesting, more hands-on approach to computers, whereas software gets very abstract at times. You'll have fun either way though Razz
edoxus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

First: Is your school on the TDSB, what school is it.

Like brenn says, yo do some sort of remote controlled car that you use a laptop to control. My friend told me so too, next semester im taking Comp engineering. I already took COmpsci, my teachir was bullshit and so was the course. He never taught us anything, all he did was mark our assignments and get scamed by us for perfect marks. (it was like self tutorial)

I advice you to start asking about the teacher that you'll have. Make sure he will actually "TEAch" something. Unlike me, got a 95% avg and learnd absolutely nothing.

BTW, does any one know how to hack TDSB(apart from installing keyllogers on the teachers PC)
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
rizzix

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Fix your avatar.. its huuuge.... well Wiiide.. fix it
md

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Despite what people seem to think... what you do in Comp. Eng. is entirely up to your school/teacher. Usually it involves controlling something from the computer in higher levels, but it doesn't have to. People sayig specific things like controlling a car or similar are just guessing for all intensive purposes.

Comp. Eng. is a good course simply for the marks though, it's easy to do well and even if you don't take computer engineering any further it'll probably be worth the experience.
eklypze

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:23 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I hated my Grade 11 Computer Engineering Course. They incorporated CCNA-1 Networking into it so we didn't get to do much "Engineering". We only learned a bit about logic gates and how that stuff works, the rest was CCNA-1 Networking.

You guys make your schools sound so fun, I envy you guys. Sad
Amailer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Over here, in grd 10 we learn VB...strange, I thought we would learn VB in grd 11 and Turing in grd 10- unless they completly scrapped turing from the program because I can't seem to find it... (the application on the computers)
cool dude

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:52 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

like cornflake said it really depends on your teacher and what he/she choose to do. r teacher is really good although i hate her because i made one spelling typo and lost 15% and she said its not user friednly B.S. Hacker Dan would fail if his teacher would do that to him (lol). this is a bit goin of topic but did somebody do the DEEP program at U of T. i'm thinking of doin it but i dunno wat its about.
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:36 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

cool dude wrote:
r teacher is really good although i hate her because i made one spelling typo and lost 15% and she said its not user friednly B.S. Hacker Dan would fail if his teacher would do that to him (lol).

What is with you and my spelling? This is like the 3rd time you have refured to it this month that i have seen when the topic is not even about me. I can't spell we get it, now move on or start help writing the DoD. Also if she did take marks for my spelling she whould not be a teacher for long sicne it whould be agisted humanrights charters in my case....
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Andy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

rofl... discrimination against the spelling impared? i'd like to see you make a case outta that one dan
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 27 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: