Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Imagine Cup 06
Index -> Contests
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

bugzpodder wrote:
its microsoft sponsored contest. what did you think? they are gonna support linux?

Maybe not "support" Linux per se, but they didn't really have to go out of their way to make it IE-only. Herbert looks simple enough that it could have been programmed just as easily in something a little more cross-platform.

But anyway, I'm not complaining. It's worth popping into IE once in a while just to play with this Very Happy
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:00 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

zylum: good.
Hikaru79: the project is written with .net technologies which is targeted at windows and IE. Smile Not firefox and linux
zylum

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

hmm... im having problems uploading my solutions. everytime i try to upload it freezes for a few minutes and then it gives me an error saying my connection to the server timed out.
zylum

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

also, how many people will be advancing to round 2?
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:31 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

bugzpodder wrote:
Hikaru79: the project is written with .net technologies which is targeted at windows and IE. Smile Not firefox and linux

Right; I recognize that. I'm just saying, this isn't some super-complicated piece of software that *needed* to be written with .net because it is uber-reliant on Windows. It's not. It's simple enough that it could have been coded in Java, or any other slightly more cross-platform way. The only really logical reason to use .NET, considering its considerable disadvantage of being Windows-specific, is to make sure people are using that.

I'm not saying it's evil or anything; Microsoft did, after all, sponsor it, so its their call. I'm just lamenting the inconvenience. I have to set aside seperate "herbert time" now when I have to log in to Windows specifically to run that one little app. All I'm saying is that convenience for the competitors was not priority #1 for whoever designed the contest.
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

zylum wrote:
hmm... im having problems uploading my solutions. everytime i try to upload it freezes for a few minutes and then it gives me an error saying my connection to the server timed out.
hi zylum. do you still have problems? if so please contact the organizers directly. pm me if you dont have their email.
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hikaru79 wrote:
bugzpodder wrote:

Right; I recognize that. I'm just saying, this isn't some super-complicated piece of software that *needed* to be written with .net because it is uber-reliant on Windows. It's not. It's simple enough that it could have been coded in Java, or any other slightly more cross-platform way. The only really logical reason to use .NET, considering its considerable disadvantage of being Windows-specific, is to make sure people are using that.

I'm not saying it's evil or anything; Microsoft did, after all, sponsor it, so its their call. I'm just lamenting the inconvenience. I have to set aside seperate "herbert time" now when I have to log in to Windows specifically to run that one little app. All I'm saying is that convenience for the competitors was not priority #1 for whoever designed the contest.

in case you haven't realized it, the whole contest is .net oriented (every division requires some use of .net technology). And it has been for the past 2 years as well. i think it makes more sense for microsoft to promote .net through these contests, instead of java.
MysticVegeta

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

What the? the quiz is too hard for me! Nooooo!!! Sigh, I am gonna stick to TC <_<
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
zylum

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wtf are you smoking? there is no quiz this year... Confused
   Index -> Contests
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 3 of 3  [ 39 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: