Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 A Question to Waterloo Students...
Index -> Student Life
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Martin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:33 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I love Waterloo. There are tons of great restaurants and shops downtown and Toronto is just an hour away. The school is pretty competitive but there still is a certain kinship among the students. I mean, some students can be dicks, but I think that's the same as anywhere.

The Euclid is the only Canadian math contest that I'm aware of Waterloo taking note of. I wrote it from grade 10 on. In grade 10, I only got a 28 (out of 100!). By grade 12, I had that up to an 82. I don't think I'd have been able to do it if I'd only written it in grade 12. Plus, it's a lot of fun. I love math contests.

As for co-op and grad school: a lot of jobs that people take are as TA's and research assistants, which is an incredible way to get to see the academic world. The actual university hires a ton of co-op students each semester, and a number of other universities also hire Waterloo co-op students. Plus, if you're going to grad school, it's nice to have a glimpse of what the real world has in store too. Also, you get paid to go to grad school (at least in the math faculty).
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Cervantes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Martin wrote:

By grade 12, I had that up to an 82. I don't think I'd have been able to do it if I'd only written it in grade 12. Plus, it's a lot of fun. I love math contests.

Any studying suggestions? Wink
Martin wrote:
Also, you get paid to go to grad school (at least in the math faculty).

That's fantastic! Is it good pay?
Martin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Do the previous contests, and learn all of the relevant theorems (especially for questions 7 to 9). There was only ever one #10 that I could get (97 or 98 I believe ... something to do with triangles).

Not as good as graduating and getting a real job. I've heard that, after fees, you'd make about $20,000/year. You have to work for it by TAing classes though.
eklypze

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Quote:
Yeah it is on computer, you get to solve 5 problems in 3 hours. If you score high enough, you can get into stage 2 where you get to come to UW and live in residence for 5 days or something (fees are covered of course). You get to learn somthing there and write a contest of course. Two of my friends got in last year, one scored silver.

That sounds great. Smile Do these contests take place in the high school or do you have to go somewhere (such as to the University) in order to take them?

Also to Martin, what theorems would be useful to know and are there any courses that I should take before taking that test? I need to make sure I do as good as possible to get into Waterloo. Cool
Martin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well, if you're going to Waterloo, Data Management, Calculus and Algebra are musts. I liked physics too, but that's just me.

I'll make you a list of things you should probably learn in a bit Wink
eklypze

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Sounds great, thanks. Very Happy
Martin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Do you have a set of the previous contests? They're the best practice you can get.

Here's the official Euclid contest website:
http://www.cmc.uwaterloo.ca/english/contests/euclid.shtml

If you scroll down a bit, they have all of the contests since 1998 and solutions. DON'T look at the solutions, even if you get stuck. Ask your teachers or friends for help; you'll learn way more that way. And print them off if you can. That way you can make notes on them.
eklypze

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Thank you, I will check those out right away. Smile
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
brenn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well, I'm not in ECE, but I'm in Mechatronics at UW, which is pretty much the next closest thing. Mechatronics includes Mechanical, Electrical, Computer and some of Systems Design--which doesn't really say anything other than the fact that we're do just about every thing other than Civil and Enviro and Chem.

As you've probably heard, we're #1 again this year.... we even had the chocolate (black) cupcakes and other (yellow) cupcakes spelling out "#1" -__-

Co-op is great. You get to really try your hand in the field, and if you don't like it, you can even choose to switch to different program (pending if your grades are good enough, of course.) [sort of unrelatedly: Dan I met your father last week during work!!!] The money is nice too, although I (and my parents...) spend all of my work term income before the next term starts. ^^;

Heehee. Good luck with your prospects and decisions!
Cervantes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Martin wrote:
Well, if you're going to Waterloo, Data Management, Calculus and Algebra are musts. I liked physics too, but that's just me.

Data Management? Ugh. I definately avoided that course. Why do you say it is a must?
Martin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

More math. I enjoyed the course. Okay, maybe it's not a must. I definitely recommend it. Algebra and Calculus are still necissary though.
we64

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

data management is a fun course. The math you learn in there can help a little with contests (counting methods).
Martin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:31 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

A few things to learn right away:

Basic probability. Start with the Binomial Coefficient. http://mathworld.wolfram.com/BinomialCoefficient.html

Permutations. http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Permutation.html

The Binomial Series. http://mathworld.wolfram.com/BinomialSeries.html

This is why you should take Data Management if you get the chance. This is what it's all about.

Common factoring! The number one skill in mathematics!
kx + ky = k(x + y)

Difference of squares. The number two skill in mathematics. a^2 - b^2 = (a + b)(a - b)

The two above things won't always be so obvious, so keep your eyes open.

Sum of a geometric series. Proof for the sum of a geometric series.

Sine and cosine laws.

Logarithm and exponant laws.

Basic complex numbers.

Curve sketching. How to draw curves, including curves with absolute values. How to find the roots.

Then just work through the old contests and see what you can do.
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I am not as excited about waterloo as I use to be. (actually, it doesnt really matter where I am, whether it be St. Clair College, Waterloo, or MIT, I will probably feel the same way regardless). School isnt as fun as I thought it was. I got bored of studying so I stopped Wink To me, I think grades are superficial. Its not difficult to get the mark you want. you just gotta do better than most other people. as long as you dont hate what ur doing, you'll be fine. different profs gives out different marks, so it is even pointless to complain on most occasions.

there are three kinds of courses. applied, theory, and somewhere in between. applied is your usual do everything by the books and you'll get 85% course (most engineering courses, +applied math). theory is like memorizing all the theorems taught in class (advanced math, pure math).
And amazingly, CS courses are somewhere in between.

COOP is interesting. lots of responsibilities though. sometimes (esp for coding) you might get stuck and gets really fraustrated. (think about your CS projects, and multiply the frastraution by 100 because your boss is behind you)
Martin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I think I'm more excited about school when I'm not there (ie. when I don't have to do work Wink)
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 3  [ 44 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: