Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 A Question to Waterloo Students...
Index -> Student Life
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
eklypze

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:36 pm   Post subject: A Question to Waterloo Students...

Hello everyone!
Today at my high school teachers had to discuss with students about what we will be doing after high school, and if we are planning to go to any colleges or universities. After my teacher briefly spoke about the universities and what they specialize in I became very interested in Waterloo University.

I am planning on either entering Computer Science or Computer Engineering. Would any students or ex-students from Waterloo mind telling me of how the Computer Science or Engineering courses are there, how difficult it might be to get into Waterloo, or sharing any interesting stories about your experiences at Waterloo University?

Also if anyone knows of any other good universities in Ontario that would be good for either Computer Science or Engineering, would you be so kind as to give me some suggestions?

Thank you all. Very Happy
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Martin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I've finished my first year there (I was in CS, now I'm in Applied Math), and I have to say that I love it.

Getting in wasn't so bad, if you have over an 80 average and a decent score on the Euclid you'll get in for sure. The course work can get pretty rough at times, but for the most part it's manageable. You'll have enough free time (during first year, at least). In 1B, my CS241 (baby compilers) course was pretty rough. MANY sleepless nights getting the final in. And at the end, they said that most of the stuff we did was what they teach in 4th year at other universities. Marks in university are pretty good, and from what I've seen have very little correlation to what people got outside of it.

Math courses, in retrospect, are too easy at the regular level. The advanced courses are a lot of fun (although I switched out for 1B - I'm switching back in for 2A).

Finally, I think the biggest selling point for Waterloo is the co-operative education program - the biggest in the world. People get co-op jobs with all sorts of companies, from working for the Canadian government to Google, Microsoft and Amazon in the US to working for Epson in Japan. Although some other universities offer co-op programs, none are as advanced. On my first job I was working for the Department of National Defense in Kingston, and now I'm in Japan with Epson (for a year...yikes). You learn a ton on work terms, and get paid too (which is nice, because Waterloo hates giving out scholarships. "What, you have a 100% average, 1600 on the SATS and got perfect on the Putnam? You qualify for our coveted $20 Tim Horton's gift certificate!")

What grade are you in?
eklypze

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I am in Grade 11 at the moment, but taking some Grade 12 courses ahead of time so I can have an easier year next year. Very Happy

From what you are saying about Waterloo, I think I will really enjoy going there (if I make it in). My average at the moment is over 80 (86 to be exact), I just hope I can keep it up throughout the course of high school. Confused

I would also like to ask how the graduating system at Waterloo University works. For example, I hear at Ryerson University in Toronto you need 20 credits to graduate. You are eligible to take 2 majors (8 credits) and 1 minor (4 credits) and two other courses or something along those lines. How exactly does Waterloo University work? And as a last question, are there any requirements to getting into co-op? I am very interested in applying in order to pay off my schooling.

Thank you for your time. Wink
Martin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:36 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

For co-op, I believe the only requirement is that you can legally work in Canada (although I'm not sure about it). And go for co-op. There is nothing bad that I can say about it. I can't imagine going through university without it.

Write the Euclid, if you don't already. It's a grade 12 contest, but I *strongly* recommend you write it in grade 11 as well for practice. Waterloo looks at it and will increase your admissions average by a point for every 10 points you get over the national average (contest is out of 100, average is usually around 40).

All of your questions can (hopefully) be answered here.

Here's what I recommend you do before you decide though: Choose five universities, and from each of those universities find five programs that they offer that you would at least be someone interested in learning more about. You'll find that there's a lot of stuff out there, and it'll help make your choice of school a much more informed decision.
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:27 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I think Martin has got it covered pretty well. We need to start a wiki about this.

If you decide for Engineering, they essencially keep on throwing courses at you for the next 4.6 years, non-stop (even during your work-term). You have to pass every single one. I don't mean to scare you away.. Engineering is tough but it is amazing and I wouldn't want it any other way.

You would also get a preference over CS/Math guys when applying for jobs Laughing
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Cervantes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:36 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Martin wrote:
And go for co-op. There is nothing bad that I can say about it. I can't imagine going through university without it.

What if you intend to go to grad school? The contacts you need when you get out of grad school are probably not the same as the ones you wanted as an undergrad.

But still, the money. Smile
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

better than not doing co-op and having no contacts.

if you're thinking grad, you certanly could use the money made in co-op Laughing
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
eklypze

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:52 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Thank you guys for all your suggestions. Smile I am now considering going into co-op, I don't know how I would pay off my schooling if not for co-op. Laughing

Is it possible to get into co-op on your first year? I know that some universities require you to be into the second year before you can apply. Sorry if I'm asking too much, I'm just curious so that I would be able to plan things ahead of time instead of waiting until the last minute to find out I am screwed. Confused

About the Euclid, I actually just got a Waterloo Math Contest sheet the other day, having some review questions in it. It says it is held on February 11 of next year, is that the Euclid by any chance? Or are they completely different?

Thanks for the link by the way, and again for your time. Smile
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Cervantes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:58 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

eklypze wrote:

About the Euclid, I actually just got a Waterloo Math Contest sheet the other day, having some review questions in it. It says it is held on February 11 of next year, is that the Euclid by any chance? Or are they completely different?

The Euclid is usually written in April, I believe. The other contests (Pascal, Cayley, and Fermat) are written in mid-February, IIRC.

Really gotta start practicing for the Euclid.
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

for CS/Math/Engineering co-op begins after 4 or 8 months of school (1~2 terms) depends on the Stream you're in. You might want to try to get into the same stream as your friends to be on campus at the same time, but otherwise it doesn't matter that much.

And yes, Euclid and CCC are both important when applying for ether program.
eklypze

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Quote:
The Euclid is usually written in April, I believe. The other contests (Pascal, Cayley, and Fermat) are written in mid-February, IIRC.

Oh, OK I understand now. I just read my sheet and it said it's the Fermat Math Contest. Would Waterloo University check my mark on this test as well?

Quote:
for CS/Math/Engineering co-op begins after 4 or 8 months of school (1~2 terms) depends on the Stream you're in. You might want to try to get into the same stream as your friends to be on campus at the same time, but otherwise it doesn't matter that much.

And yes, Euclid and CCC are both important when applying for ether program.

I'm sorry I dont know much about Universities, what is exactly is a stream? Is that like your schedule? I will definately try the Euclid test during April, but what exactly is CCC? Confused

Thank you for your replies. Very Happy
Cervantes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

There are two streams. Stream-4 and stream-8. Stream-4 starts their co-op term after a single term at university (4 months). Stream-8 starts their co-op term after two terms of academics (8 months). Both of them alternate each term, so if everyone in the university did co-op, and if everyone in the university were in the same year, only half the people would be actually at the university at any given time, with the exception of the first term of first year and the last term (after 4.3 years)

CCC is the Canadian Computing Competition, held by the University of Waterloo. Google it. Smile
we64

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well where do you live man? if you live in a nice place such as Toronto, Kingston or etc. then I should warn you that Waterloo is pretty boring place that I feels. Not much things are going on and the community here is pretty educated but disconnected. UW, I am not in right now, but I come and go on weekends for study and I heard a lot of stuff about it. The school spirit is pretty bad, and not united, too competetive I should say.
eklypze

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Thanks a lot for your help, I understand Streams in Universities now. Smile About the CCC, have you tried it yet? I would just like to know what you thought about it, is it written or done on the computer, and when each year is it held?

The more you guys tell me about Waterloo the harder it sounds to get in. Confused Any suggestions as to what universities are also great in Ontario if I don't make it in? Laughing
we64

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

The CCC is on Feb 28 this year, a little early than usual (march). Yeah it is on computer, you get to solve 5 problems in 3 hours. If you score high enough, you can get into stage 2 where you get to come to UW and live in residence for 5 days or something (fees are covered of course). You get to learn somthing there and write a contest of course. Two of my friends got in last year, one scored silver. You get to live with all the nerds in Canada and probably most of them are coming to UW for CS lol.. so you get to them early. But again it is really really hard to get in, if you love programming and does it everyday and learn algorithms, then you might have a chance.

Lakehead sounds pretty good for CS, well from Dan that is, lol. They have the most advanced equipments and buildings among all universities probably. Ask Hacker Dan for more detailed info.

Toronto and Mcmaster's engineerings are really good too, I dont' think it is any worse than UW at all. At some might be better too. So look them up too.
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 3  [ 44 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: