Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 DWITE is probably the most entertaining computer contest
Index -> CompSci.ca, Contests -> DWITE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
MysticVegeta

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:52 am   Post subject: (No subject)

i dont know why poeple would resort to cheating. This is just a contest for christ's sake and a very low level one. If someone cheats in this and gets in ECOO or gets to write CCC, there is no chance that they will ever be able to cheat in those contests... If I cheat my way through and get a 1st rank, my conscience will tell me, I didnt earn those points legitly. What do you guys have to say about that?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
md

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

MysticVegeta wrote:
i dont know why poeple would resort to cheating. This is just a contest for christ's sake and a very low level one. If someone cheats in this and gets in ECOO or gets to write CCC, there is no chance that they will ever be able to cheat in those contests... If I cheat my way through and get a 1st rank, my conscience will tell me, I didnt earn those points legitly. What do you guys have to say about that?

I have no conscience. Cheating and winning is a legitimate strategy. Rules are there to level the playing feild, but if you can bend the rules in your favour (cheating) and get away with it then in the end you are the better person in the competition. Obviously if you can't do the same in other competitions then it doesn't really help... but if you can get away with it there is absolutely nothing wrong with bending the rules.
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

When all else fails... cheat.
MysticVegeta

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

you mean:

if (mind.power > 0) and (notLazy = true) then
useMind ()
else
cheat ()
end if

?
md

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

MysticVegeta wrote:
you mean:

if (mind.power > 0) and (notLazy = true) then
useMind ()
else
cheat ()
end if

?

No no, if cheating is easier then doing it and you can get away with cheating then cheat. Cheating is just a term given to those who find creative alternate methods of winning which work better.
MysticVegeta

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Too bad our CS teacher doesnt have the same definition for cheating... Sad
we64

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

MysticVegeta wrote:
Too bad our CS teacher doesnt have the same definition for cheating... Sad

yeah, how many teachers in this world do?
Paul

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wtd wrote:
When all else fails... cheat.

There's also "When all else fails... hardcode!"
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
McKenzie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I know you see yourself as "thinking outside of the box." Cornflake but in this case the cheating rules are there to help everyone. You, because if you cheat you don't force yourself to learn, and everyone else because they want legitimate feedback on their skills. Cheating is simply pretending you are better than you are. If you simply become better then you don't need to cheat.
md

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:21 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

McKenzie wrote:
I know you see yourself as "thinking outside of the box." Cornflake but in this case the cheating rules are there to help everyone. You, because if you cheat you don't force yourself to learn, and everyone else because they want legitimate feedback on their skills. Cheating is simply pretending you are better than you are. If you simply become better then you don't need to cheat.

While that's true to an extent once you get out into the real world you'll find thats not always the case. For instance I race sail boats; rule 42 in the racing rules of sailing forbids all sorts of different methods of propulsion other then by plain sailing. However, In order to actually do well you must be able to break this rule and get away with it, because everyone else can. After a certain point being able to cheat and get away with it is the only way to improve.
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Cornflake wrote:
McKenzie wrote:

While that's true to an extent once you get ont into the real world you'll find thats not always the case. For instance I race sail boats; rule 42 in the racing rules of sailing forbids all sorts of different methods of propulsion other then by plain sailing. However, In order to actually do well you must be able to break this rule and get away with it, because everyone else can. After a certain point being able to cheat and get away with it is the only way to improve.

But not everybody cheats at DWITE. It's not this corrupt lawless little society. We've done pretty well, following the rules religiously.
md

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hikaru79 wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
McKenzie wrote:

While that's true to an extent once you get ont into the real world you'll find thats not always the case. For instance I race sail boats; rule 42 in the racing rules of sailing forbids all sorts of different methods of propulsion other then by plain sailing. However, In order to actually do well you must be able to break this rule and get away with it, because everyone else can. After a certain point being able to cheat and get away with it is the only way to improve.

But not everybody cheats at DWITE. It's not this corrupt lawless little society. We've done pretty well, following the rules religiously.
Not everyone needs to... only the top few Wink
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:33 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Cornflake wrote:
Hikaru79 wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
McKenzie wrote:

Not everyone needs to... only the top few Wink

But then, what's the point? You're not getting better. You're not impressing anyone. You're not getting any prizes. I'd be very surprised if good DWITE results counted for anything on an academic resume. You wouldn't get any satisfaction. I'm really not seeing any pros at all Razz It's not even like an online game where cheating at leasts speeds up the flow of the action so you get to the good part faster, or you have the satisfaction of 'pwning n00bs.'
Cervantes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I hate my schoolboard.

Throughout highschool, I've had about 2 snow days, one of which we only found out it was a snow day after we had got to school, and it was essentially a regular school day.

But apparently, my school board has cancelled all after school activities. No DWITE, unless we do it from home, which I don't think is going to happen.

Good luck to everyone else writing this time. Smile
we64

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Everyone hates their school board, I have so much against them. Waste of budget everyday on stupid stuff. A bunch of old people sit in an office and think they know how to educate teens, stupid rules, regulations, etc. you can't really complain to them because they just look after themselves.
   Index -> CompSci.ca, Contests -> DWITE
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 3  [ 33 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: