Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 DWITE is probably the most entertaining computer contest
Index -> CompSci.ca, Contests -> DWITE
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
we64

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:27 pm   Post subject: DWITE is probably the most entertaining computer contest

I personally think DWITE is the most entertaining contest around. First of all, no matter you do it in school or at home, you will have fun for sure. In school, you get to own others in their face and listen to lots of swearings. XD
At home, you can enjoy a nice and your favourite programming enviroment.
Second of all, this is the only contest that involves teams, it builds team spirits and teamworking skills. Lastly, although the judge isn't that great, the contest level of difficulty is very even, easy to hard, it hardly happens that you can't do any question at all. At least you would feel good about yourself in certain ways.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
MysticVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:35 am   Post subject: Re: DWITE is probably the most entertaining computer contest

we64 wrote:
this is the only contest that involves teams

I would have to disagree on that because ECOO has teams. Also, it is fun but it isn't when you are programming with Turing and the judge version 2.6 compiler Mad Now they dont but still I was just making a point.
md

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:24 am   Post subject: (No subject)

There are other contests with teams... in ottawa algonquin college hosts a competition every year (I won most improved when I did it Wink, and my team won first this year). I'm pretty sure there are more of them too. Plus many competitions are open to a variety of languages, otehr then turning; which isn't exactly a great language...

Personally I hadn't even heard of the DWITE contest until I discovered compsci, so obviously it can't be that good or word of it would have spread Razz
Cervantes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:51 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Cornflake wrote:

Personally I hadn't even heard of the DWITE contest until I discovered compsci, so obviously it can't be that good or word of it would have spread Razz

Good and popular are two different things, remember.
Insert yourself into the mindframe of wtd, then think: Java. Now re-read my above statement. Smile
wtd

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Cervantes wrote:
Cornflake wrote:

Good and popular are two different things, remember.
Insert yourself into the mindframe of wtd, then think: Java. Now re-read my above statement. Smile

Or Windows. Or Internet Explorer.

Popularity is a function of marketing, not quality.
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

first of all you are not suppose to work on DWITE at home. and secondly you obviously havent tried the other computer contests like topcoder, USACO, codecup, IPSC, imaginecup, various AI competitions etc
MysticVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

bugzpodder wrote:
first of all you are not suppose to work on DWITE at home.

I would have to disagree with that because I write it from my own house cause my school doesnt write it.
zylum

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

how do they prevent you from cheating?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
MysticVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

how can I cheat?
-> I have no friends
-> Using Internet doesnt get you anywhere except wastes your time
-> noone from alberta except me is writing the contest
-> Cant use MSN because the people I am contacting are writing the contest too.
zylum

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

lol im on your msn
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

MysticVegeta wrote:
bugzpodder wrote:

I would have to disagree with that because I write it from my own house cause my school doesnt write it.

thats not the point. The point is that you can't do this from your home and you need a proctor. part of the rules.

One could have preexisting code on his/her computer for example, or google up algorithms.

But personally I couldnt care less what you do.
we64

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

This write contest at home thing just started this year because of the contest time. 3pm to 6pm. First is afterschool, how many students want to write a contest after school at school? Secondly, how many teacher would willingly stay after school just because a non-reward contest? Lastly, the contest is mainly for students to practice their skills for CCC, scoring and winning doesn't really matter that much. How much would they improve if they just use used code?
MysticVegeta

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

bugzpodder wrote:
MysticVegeta wrote:
bugzpodder wrote:

thats not the point. The point is that you can't do this from your home and you need a proctor. part of the rules.

One could have preexisting code on his/her computer for example, or google up algorithms.

But personally I couldnt care less what you do.

what are you talking about? I asked Mr Will for his permission, and I am not such a degraded student who would write preexisting code and algorithms.

Zylum: I am too busy figuring out the math and programming, I dont have time to wait for my friends to reply on MSN.
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I am merely stating the ways one could cheat on dwite. zylum is doing the same thing (using you as an example, rather than accusing you of cheating). So dont jump up, no need to feel guilty Wink I dont know why you are defending yourself so aggressively.
As we64 said, it is an informal contest. No point in cheating (sadly I do know cases of cheating)
Paul

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:48 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Eh, its like say, getting into engineering when you cheated for all your math courses. In the end you're only lying to yourself. There's really no point in doing that just so you can go: "omg look! first in dwite!". And even if someone needs to resort to cheating, I doubt they'll get first.
   Index -> CompSci.ca, Contests -> DWITE
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 3  [ 33 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: