Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 DWITE Turing Discoveries.
Index -> CompSci.ca, Contests -> DWITE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
MysticVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Shocked whos the person being desribed here?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Andy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i was refering to el comanfagatron before it was deleted
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:01 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Are we talking Java 1.5.0, or 1.4.2? That would seriously influence my choice.

And MysticVegeta: what do you mean by "redeclaring predefined functions"?
Cervantes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:58 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

The problem with Turing should be fixed, now. I think they're using a 4.0.x version.

My compsci teacher sent out an email to all the compsci teachers, and apparently a few knew how to run turing from the command-line.
MysticVegeta

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ya I got that info from my friend, they are going to be using the latest compiler now Smile

wtd: I meant for example: String.lower didnt exist in turing 2.6, so we would have to go.

code:

fcn lower (x : string)
//process on the string
result lowerString
end lower

But not anymore!!!!! Razz Razz
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

So, how did they do it? Smile
MysticVegeta

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:31 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I dont know how they did it but it does say "This program cannot run in DOS" when you open turing.exe with notepad (The unencrypted text) I guess it could compile in Dos.....? I am stilll confused about it Confused
we64

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

dwite.org says they still have problem with the new Turing Compiler for the judge. I wonder if they can fix it on time.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
McKenzie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I was bugging Will to upgrade to Java 1.5. He told me it was top priority. Instead he posted on his site that they are using 1.4. Oh well, at least it's not as bad as the University of Windsor competition where they assured us they could handle 1.5, only to discover at the last minute that they could only use 1.4.
MysticVegeta

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

DWITE has a lot of bugs with Turing... my god! I coded the 3 problems in 40 minutes and received 0 score I sent in SAME problems after 2 hours and received 100+ if it had executed properly before I would have had a godly score and I would have had more than 2 hours to get my hands on the rest 2 problems. Instead, I had to waste those 2 hours figuring out the code in Java of those 3 problems. (which I did) But thats not the point!!! I was so ticked off! god...
Andy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

MysticVegeta wrote:
DWITE has a lot of bugs with Turing... my god! I coded the 3 problems in 40 minutes and received 0 score I sent in SAME problems after 2 hours and received 100+ if it had executed properly before I would have had a godly score and I would have had more than 2 hours to get my hands on the rest 2 problems. Instead, I had to waste those 2 hours figuring out the code in Java of those 3 problems. (which I did) But thats not the point!!! I was so ticked off! god...

that wouldnt have got you an godly score... you're supposed to be able to do the first three within the first half an hour.. thats how all the highscores are generated..

and mckenzie, are u serious?? when was this windsor competition?
MysticVegeta

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:30 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Andy wrote:
MysticVegeta wrote:

that wouldnt have got you an godly score... you're supposed to be able to do the first three within the first half an hour.. thats how all the highscores are generated..

and mckenzie, are u serious?? when was this windsor competition?

a godly for me is 500+.... not 600+.... for I am yet a newbie Crying or Very sad
Mr.S.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:22 pm   Post subject: Re: DWITE Turing Discoveries.

Thanks for pointing out some discoveries with Turing.

I have tried to get support from Holt Software regarding the Turing compiler but nobody responds to my e-mails or to my phone calls. I'm not certain that Holt supports Turing anymore. Sorry.

I suggest that if Turing is not successful for you during a contest, that you try another programming environment.

Mr.S.

MysticVegeta wrote:
I have made the following discoveries:

1) You cannot use flexible arrays in Turing because judge is v2.6
2) Cannot use functions with no arguments (has to be with arguments)
3) Cannot have arrays as an argument

There are lots of more still to come, I will keep on editing this.

By the ways people, if we cannot use flexible arrays, in problem 2 (game of life) How are we supposed to keep the birth and survival ratios? (DWITE nov 2005) This is stupid, I am dropping DWITE because judge's and my distance takes up compilation time, and everytime it counts 1 problem as 2 submissions for some reason. Can someone suggest to Mr Will to upgrade their Judge's version? Thanks.

Edit: Also should I state that no one using Turing was able to successfully execute Problem 2.
Tony

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:52 pm   Post subject: Re: DWITE Turing Discoveries.

HoltSoft doesn't answer my emails ether.
Mr.S. wrote:
I'm not certain that Holt supports Turing anymore.

I wonder if it would then before fair use to redistribute Turing? Confused I mean we do most of the support here anyways Thinking

Anyways, since DWITE now runs with Ruby - that is definitly something to consider Wink
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
cool dude

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

another wierd thing about dwite is that at times we submit our program and it says it took too long to run when it clearly runs less than a second. so we submit it it the second time and we get full points for it.
   Index -> CompSci.ca, Contests -> DWITE
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 4  [ 46 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: