Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 DWITE Turing Discoveries.
Index -> CompSci.ca, Contests -> DWITE
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
MysticVegeta

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:57 pm   Post subject: DWITE Turing Discoveries.

I have made the following discoveries:

1) You cannot use flexible arrays in Turing because judge is v2.6
2) Cannot use functions with no arguments (has to be with arguments)
3) Cannot have arrays as an argument

There are lots of more still to come, I will keep on editing this.

By the ways people, if we cannot use flexible arrays, in problem 2 (game of life) How are we supposed to keep the birth and survival ratios? (DWITE nov 2005) This is stupid, I am dropping DWITE because judge's and my distance takes up compilation time, and everytime it counts 1 problem as 2 submissions for some reason. Can someone suggest to Mr Will to upgrade their Judge's version? Thanks.

Edit: Also should I state that no one using Turing was able to successfully execute Problem 2.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

There's many, many problems with DWITE, and language incompatibilities is one of them Sad The DWITE is fun, though, especially given the 'team spirit' ... I just wouldn't base my whole ego on it. Not to the point where I'd boycott it just because it didn't run one of my problems Wink
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:08 pm   Post subject: Re: DWITE Turing Discoveries.

MysticVegeta wrote:
if we cannot use flexible arrays

you declear a huge honking static array and use an integer counter to keep track of its vertual size Wink

You could always pass meaningless arguments to functions, and not use them.

You could declear a global array, and pass an identification to that array to a function. I'd tell you to use pointers, but I have no clue if v2.6 has those.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
MysticVegeta

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

The use of flexible array s in that problem is something like this, Imagine this
code:
var arr : array 1..100 of int
arr(1) := 10
arr(2) := 20

Now if I want it to read only the first 2, i would have to go something like this
code:
for x : 1..upper(arr)
But that would make the loop go to 100 and would give an error at 3. Also there is no catchArraysOutOfBoundsException;
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

so use
code:

var arr : array 1..100 of int
var counter : int := 0
arr(1) := 10
counter += 1
arr(2) := 20
counter += 1

for x: 1 .. counter
    put arr(x)
end for
Wink
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Look at the DWITE as being fun. Don't worry too much about how you do. Enjoy yourself Smile
JackTruong

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Think of this as a way of saying; "learn another programming language".
MysticVegeta

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:14 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Yep. I think I am gonna do it, I am going to Java, since I already know IO and vars/arrays/loops in it. Lets see how much I can accomplish in 24 days Wink
I am really starting to hate redeclaring predefined functions Mad
Thanks for suppoert guys
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Cervantes

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:51 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

That's a shame. I wonder why this problem only surfaced on this competition. Why not previous competitions? No one used flexible arrays or functions with no arguments in previous competitions?

I suppose I should do this in a different language then. Must drag my team though learning Pascal or Java. *sigh*

Too bad they don't support Ruby. That will run from DOS.
MysticVegeta

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yeah, Cervantes, what will you do, Java or C++?
Cervantes

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

MysticVegeta wrote:
Yeah, Cervantes, what will you do, Java or C++?

Well...
Cervantes wrote:
Pascal or Java

I hope that clears that up.
MihaiG

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

if ur going for pascal why not upgrade and go for visual pascal (delphi)... Laughing
MysticVegeta

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:03 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Does that have similar syntax to pascal?
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:06 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Hikaru79 wrote:
There's many, many problems with DWITE, and language incompatibilities is one of them Sad The DWITE is fun, though, especially given the 'team spirit' ... I just wouldn't base my whole ego on it. Not to the point where I'd boycott it just because it didn't run one of my problems Wink

just give the guy (will sentjens) a howl, he'll listen to ya for the most part.
md

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:01 am   Post subject: (No subject)

El Comandante wrote:
if ur going for pascal why not upgrade and go for visual pascal (delphi)... Laughing

Delphi is not "visual pascal" it's an entirely different beast. If your going to learn pascal do it right and learn real pascal.
   Index -> CompSci.ca, Contests -> DWITE
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 4  [ 46 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: