Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 What are your home pages?
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
PaddyLong

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

there are some screen capture programs... one is called Camtasia... but those tend to totally lag your machine (well a version I used a while ago did... dunno if they've improved it or not)

but I think a lot of people use digital camcorders hooked directly to the video out on their video card
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
UBC_Wiskatos

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:14 am   Post subject: (No subject)

MironV.com
Amailer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:18 am   Post subject: (No subject)

nice site UBC,
TRY using PHP for it Smile
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:37 am   Post subject: (No subject)

lol, Amailer and his PHP...

its a personal portfolio static site... no need for PHP. Its like writing a C++ executable to display a textfile. Might be cool, but really its just pointless.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Amailer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:54 am   Post subject: (No subject)

well...since no one talks about PHP...i would like to TALK about it sinces its a great programming language.
Asok

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 2:31 am   Post subject: (No subject)

bah, QBasic > PHP Razz
PaddyLong

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:19 am   Post subject: (No subject)

lol@Asok

naw... php is really helpful even for "static websites" because they allow you to do includes... which are lethally (buahaha a little hyperbole or something) useful for menus and other things that may appear on many pages.... like for example.. say you have a website with 20 pages on it, each with the same header, menu and footer... but say for some reason you decide to add a section and thus need to add to your menu... rather than updating 20 files making the exact same change in each of them, you can update one file that is included into each of the 20 files.

or the other way to do it would be to just have one layout file and include the content for the page into it...
UBC_Wiskatos

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:25 am   Post subject: (No subject)

tony wrote:
lol, Amailer and his PHP...

its a personal portfolio static site... no need for PHP. Its like writing a C++ executable to display a textfile. Might be cool, but really its just pointless.

Actually, the site isn't really static. I don't use PHP, but I do use Perl/CGI. Everything you see on the site is kept in a database, and when I want to add something I go to the backend and fill out a few forms and it automatically builds all the necessary stuff (especially useful in the Stuff section, where it automatically recognizes if it is a file or article, builds a Printer-Friendly page, recognizes if it is more than one page, etc.)

As for PHP includes that PaddyLong was talking about, I use SSI includes so that I don't have to updated the pages. Same difference! Wink

As for PHP, I love PHP! It's quite awesome, however I do feel more at home with Perl, probably because I've grown use to it over time, and it's a lot like C with pattern-matching stuff thrown in.

Thanks for the compliments though!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Amailer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 2:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

PHP makes work much ezer...makes the copy and past down to 0, if you got 3 pages on your web site, all must have the same layout as the main page. You will be copying and pasting the whole layout for EACH page you got on your web site. With php...no need for that Smile If you see my whole site...the layout is gotten from only 1 page, thats the index.php...so it made my work become VERY FAST...+ everything on that site, everything is stored in a mysql DB...everything...the table color, size, font, header, links, forums and etc:) ( coruse ) everything. And im working on the admin center...which will enable me to edit my WHOLE SITE right on the web Smile. And yes, you can do all that with perl...but i knew PHP before i knew Perl thats why im stuck to PHP Smile
rizzix

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 2:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

UBC_Wiskatos wrote:

As for PHP, I love PHP! It's quite awesome, however I do feel more at home with Perl, probably because I've grown use to it over time, and it's a lot like C with pattern-matching stuff thrown in.

yea i use perl as well. php has that so called pattern matching thrown in as well. btw its called regular expressions (regex)
UBC_Wiskatos

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 2:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

rizzix wrote:
UBC_Wiskatos wrote:

yea i use perl as well. php has that so called pattern matching thrown in as well. btw its called regular expressions (regex)

Yeah, borrows it from awk, sed, and some UNIX shell languages, including Lisp. Smile Perl > *
UBC_Wiskatos

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 2:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Amailer wrote:
PHP makes work much ezer...makes the copy and past down to 0, if you got 3 pages on your web site, all must have the same layout as the main page. You will be copying and pasting the whole layout for EACH page you got on your web site. With php...no need for that Smile If you see my whole site...the layout is gotten from only 1 page, thats the index.php...so it made my work become VERY FAST...+ everything on that site, everything is stored in a mysql DB...everything...the table color, size, font, header, links, forums and etc:) ( coruse ) everything. And im working on the admin center...which will enable me to edit my WHOLE SITE right on the web Smile. And yes, you can do all that with perl...but i knew PHP before i knew Perl thats why im stuck to PHP Smile

I can do all that using Perl, CSS, and SSI. I keep my headers separate then use SSI to join pages together, my whole site colours are stored in a CSS file, and the rest of the site is updated via a Perl admin program. Very Happy
rizzix

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 2:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

UBC_Wiskatos wrote:

Yeah, borrows it from awk, sed, and some UNIX shell languages, including Lisp. Smile Perl > *

teh Hackers language dude!!! Twisted Evil
Amailer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 2:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yup same here, but my CSS stuff is connected to mySQL Smile so if i want to update something in the CSS ( and other also can update it cuz its on the web ) it makes STUFF SO ez...and eheh makes you lazyer Smile but still its good. Its KINDA the same thing as what phpbb does for their styles, but mine is coded in a diffrent way Smile
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 3 of 3  [ 44 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: