Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Evolution vs. Creation.
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 33, 34, 35  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

How do you think we got here?
(No ending time set)
Creation
37%
 37%  [ 23 ]
Evolution
62%
 62%  [ 38 ]
Total Votes : 61

Tony

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

sylvester-27 wrote:
If we have souls and animals don't and we evolved from apes

how do you figure that animals don't have souls?

Anyways guys, you all go to the same school. Chances are that you're in the same room right now. How about you continue this discussion over tomorrow's lunch?
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I have to say neither. I believe that the two co-exist, they support each other. Once you get past blindly stating the contradictions between them, you may see how they tell the same story in different, say, perspectives, and for different reasons.

You can't take creationism literaly, and you can't believe evolution as absolute truth.
Brightguy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:07 pm   Post subject: Re: Y R We Here?

Like Gandalf said, this is a clear false dilemma. Evolution is not perfect, but the theory has been incredibly useful in biology.

sylvester-27 wrote:
Here is a good argument: For everything phenomena that evolutionist cannot explain they just say "something crashed into it" and the probability of this happening in space is 1 in 40 million.

Actually the argument goes something like... for every phenomena that evolution cannot explain, a new hypothesis is formed and then tested.

"Something crashed into it?" You haven't devoted much time to studying evolution, have you?
Notoroge

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Life's greatest question; and the self-bestowed reason to explain our very own existance, being that to answer such question ... summed up in leet-speak. What a world we live in.
Cervantes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:31 pm   Post subject: Re: Go Creationism

sylvester-27 wrote:
I definately believe in creationism. Here is a good argument: For everything phenomena that evolutionist cannot explain they just say "something crashed into it" and the probability of this happening in space is 1 in 40 million.

1.) 1 in 40 million is quite good odds. Consider the age and the size of the universe.
2.) For every argument the creationish cannot explain... Oh wait. The creationist can explain everything because that's the fundamental premise of there being a God: omnipotence and omniscience. I have to say, that's taking the easy way out.

sylvester-27 wrote:
If we have souls and animals don't and we evolved from apes then at what point did god decide to give us souls. Did he just say "You a good ape, yes you are." and give us souls?
And any who says that we don't have souls is just a loser.

I say we don't have souls. We don't need a soul for life, so what's the point in having it?

[Gandalf] wrote:
and you can't believe evolution as absolute truth.

Neither can you take General Relativity as absolute truth, but its pretty darn close. And it is being modified by String Theory. Evolution, being a scientific theory, is not set in stone.

sylverster-27 wrote:
albrecd the whole point of the off topic forum is to be off topic not on topic otherwise it would be called on topic not off topic which is what this is =off topic now stop asking off topic questions that are really on topic because this is an off topic forum

Actually, the whole point of the off topic forum is to talk about topics that are off the topic of computer science. You still are expected to stay on the topic of the thread. Hence why we changed the name from "spam" a little while ago.
beard0

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I said evolution. I don't beleive in a God - ceratinly not the chrsitian God. I basically have my own faith that doesn't involve a God - no organnised religion. I find that too often in organised religion you have a hell or equivalent, and I think that to follow someone so evil as to condemn someone to burn forever for mistakes made on earth would be to compromise my morals more than I could stand. Therefore, even if I knew that the catholics were "right," I would not join them, for I would rather burn in hell for eternity, then join that God in condemning others to.
Paul

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well, I know I'm here to own you.
Mazer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

beard0 wrote:
... I would rather burn in hell for eternity, then join that God in condemning others to.

I might regret getting involved in one of these discussions but I felt like pointing out that not everybody believes that people are "condemned" to hell. Some people describe hell not as an eternal punishment a sinner receivs from God, but as a torture that you feel as a result of being apart from God completely (chosen willingly, based on your actions).

Think it's weird an unlikely? A stupid theory? Shut the FUCK up, you're dead!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
beard0

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

And then there are others that do believe God is punishing them. That's what I object to.
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Definitely evolution. If the Bible's true (as literal history), then why aren't there remnants of it? Why are dinosaurs only mentioned (possibly, and very briefly) once in the Bible? Why are there all of these transitional fossils? Is God just fucking with us?

http://www.talkorigins.org/
Cervantes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Martin wrote:
Is God just ****ing with us?

Indeed. What's the purpose of genetic mutation? If God can just create species at whim, why have them mutate? If the creationist response to this is because God wants to let the world be able to develop on its own to some extent, why are almost all mutations harmful or fatal?
Paul

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Er... bad case of bruteforcing?
Cervantes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Paul wrote:
Er... bad case of bruteforcing?

Bruteforcing sounds like evolution to me, not creationism. Why would God bruteforce something, when he's omnipotent and omniscient?
sylvester-27

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:21 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

sorry i didn't mean 1 in 40 million i meant 1 in 40 billion which i have to say is almost inpossible corrisponding to the number of times that evolutionist state the the reason why say the planets orbit the way they do is that something crashed into it. Its much easier to just say that some all powerful being (namely God) did it and we don't have to understand it. Isn't that a whole lot easier?
beard0

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Wouldn't it be a whole lot easier to shoot myself in the head right now and be done with life? Rolling Eyes
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 35  [ 519 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: