Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Programming Tip of the Day
Index -> General Programming
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
kendricktamis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:53 pm   Post subject: RE:Programming Tip of the Day

Object-Oriented Programming is the staple of the entire Flex Framework. Some key concepts you need to know to be taken seriously as a developer are encapsulation, polymorphism and inheritance.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
USEC_OFFICER

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:24 pm   Post subject: RE:Programming Tip of the Day

Duh, object-oriented programming is important in almost every language. Except for those that don't have or need it. Actually thank you for reminding me I need to learn object-oriented programming in C++ for my new game.
chrisbrown

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:15 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Programming Tip of the Day

USEC_OFFICER @ Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:24 pm wrote:
object-oriented programming is important in almost every language. Except for those that don't have or need it.

Fins are important for almost every fish. Except for those that don't have or need them.

Qualifiers aren't always helpful.
USEC_OFFICER

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:20 pm   Post subject: RE:Programming Tip of the Day

I see what you mean. I meant that some languages don't have it, and Turing doesn't really need it, and a sentence was born. (Turing is mostly for instruction. When you learn object oriented programming, you'll have moved on to C++ or Java.)
chrisbrown

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:36 pm   Post subject: Re: Programming Tip of the Day

I will agree, though, most programmers will encounter these concepts early in their careers.

Surprisingly on-topic, here's a year-old quote from the previous page:

wtd @ Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:53 am wrote:
There are no object-oriented programming languages; just object-oriented programmers.
Tony

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:45 pm   Post subject: RE:Programming Tip of the Day

Pro Tip: keep this thread for actual tips, and create new threads for the discussion.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
copthesaint

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:58 am   Post subject: RE:Programming Tip of the Day

Murphy's law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Make sure you back your data up Online or by disk, you never know when you may encounter a problem with your computer.
Turing_Gamer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:39 am   Post subject: RE:Programming Tip of the Day

Best tip for any language at any time: COMMENT YOUR CODE! It helps Smile
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:02 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Programming Tip of the Day

Turing_Gamer @ Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:39 pm wrote:
Best tip for any language at any time: COMMENT YOUR CODE! It helps Smile

Only if your comments are both needed and well-written. Comments as used in practice are often harmful.
wtd

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:06 pm   Post subject: RE:Programming Tip of the Day

If you are writing software that you expect people to pay to use, then you will face the harsh reality of consumer thinking processes.

One of the most common and harmful is the use of bullet lists. Competing programs will have a certain number of features. Customers may be inclined to think your program is inferior if it does not have an equal or greater number of features. This will put pressure on you, as the programmer, to cram more and more into your software.

This *may* be the right thing to do. Or, you may need to step back and just design your program well, avoiding unnecessary feature creep.
wtd

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:48 pm   Post subject: Re: Programming Tip of the Day

When in doubt, look at your conditionals. If different conditions involve entirely different variables, there's a good chance to you have a logic error.
USEC_OFFICER

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:51 pm   Post subject: RE:Programming Tip of the Day

For every one hour in which you stare at a computer screen, take 5-10 minutes off doing something else. (Get up and walk around etc.)
SNIPERDUDE

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:02 pm   Post subject: RE:Programming Tip of the Day

When in doubt, C4.
The problem often lies between the keyboard and the chair.
Hit CTRL + S as often as possible.
ProgrammingFun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:50 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Programming Tip of the Day

copthesaint @ Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:58 am wrote:

Make sure you back your data up Online or by disk, you never know when you may encounter a problem with your computer.

What if the online server crashes? Mr. Green
I just keep my data on separate partitions (yes, I know a problem with the harddisk can destroy the data so I have it on 2 computers and discs).
SNIPERDUDE

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:23 am   Post subject: RE:Programming Tip of the Day

An external HDD is a worthy investment.
   Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 12 of 13  [ 184 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: