Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Thinking of making a program to run with a game...
Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
bioflare

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:11 pm   Post subject: Thinking of making a program to run with a game...

Well, I was thinking of making a program to help learn simple game shots. The game is similar to worms, and there are many formula's for the different bots in the game. I was thinking of incorporating these formula's into a program that could run ontop of the game window so i wouldn't have to alt tab to input the values.

Essentially the program will just return either angle to be used or power. It will calculate these from Wind Direction, Wind Strength, Distance to target and those values will be taken in by means of text fields? Then the output will shown after calculate button is pressed.

I need to know which language would allow me to have my program run onto of the game window, and allow features like shrinking the gui into a slim bar when not in use.

For each of these formula's there are different sets of guidelines, no exact formula. They are based on wind direction, wind strength, angle of shot, power of shot and distance to target. Right now i'm having trouble creating a general function or method to do this, i just have a lot of if statements scattered. Is there any better ways to do this?

My thoughts aren't organized as of yet, since this will be a side project out of interest and something to make me learn more about programming. Some aspects are definitely tough for me but here I think i'll be able to get the help. I'm not very knowledgeable in programming, I've only learned a bit of java last year.angle
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
beard0

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Trying to pick apart what you said, I think that you're talking about having multiple programs talking.

What you really want to do is have one program, split into separate pieces (procedures/modules/what have you). One program is allowed to have multiple windows - or to avaoid alt-tabing, you can decide to split up a single window any way you choose to have different information available in each section.

Does this answer what you meant your question to be?
bioflare

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

My program and the game program don't have to interact. If they did then it would potentially become a memory based 'aimbot'. I just want it so i dont have to alt tab out of the program to input the values into the textfields of my program. And i still need a programming language where this can be done.
beard0

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

So you're playing some random full screen game made by someone else, and you want to be able to run your program using a small section of the screen on top of the game?

If that's so, I don't know what language could do it. I'm 99.99% sure that java would not be able to do this. All I know is that it wouldn't be easy coding.
bioflare

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ah i see. So it would be difficult to overlay my program over the fullscreen game window. Are there anyways to augment the program's orientation like how some programs have always on top, and how task manager can show on top of fullscreen windows?
Monstrosity_

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

bioflare wrote:
I just want it so i dont have to alt tab out of the program to input the values into the textfields of my program. And i still need a programming language where this can be done.

Alot of games offer switches to run in windowed mode, read the documentation.

bioflare wrote:
Are there anyways to augment the program's orientation like how some programs have always on top, and how task manager can show on top of fullscreen windows?

Sure, use the SetWindowPos function with the HWND_TOPMOST arguement. These are defined in the windows header, and depending on how the game draws itself, this will do nothing for you (eg, open task manager and see if remain on top of the game). But since you've been fairly vague up to this point, thats about all I can do for you.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:27 am   Post subject: (No subject)

If you are talking about what I think, all you really need to be able to do is have a popup "console" (ie. ~ in most games), and then you can input any of your text into that.
bioflare

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I'm not quite sure but I think you would know more about these things than I do. What language Could create this popup type console in the game. If its something like most fps games console then yes, but how would i make a program that shows on top of the full screen game?

@Monstrosity when i'm in full screen game and press ctrl alt delete it just switches to desktop. But otherwise it does not run on top of the game window. I could be doing this wrong, this is for the game gunbound. If that helps.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Monstrosity_

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

bioflare wrote:
I could be doing this wrong, this is for the game gunbound. If that helps.

According to google you can run it in windoed mode, so read the documentation. This will make your alt tabbing easier, and save you from figuring out how to run your app on top of it, although you can still do this is you feel the need.
bioflare

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I have found a program that does what i want my program to do. Visually its compact and it runs on top of fullscreen gunbound.

What language is this program done and how is it able to overlay ontop of gb is it that hwin function stated above?

Here's the scan of the zip

File: circletalk.zip
MD5 25165abd4fb22482928bb2e14575ecc2
Packers detected: -
Scanner results
AntiVir Found nothing
ArcaVir Found nothing
Avast Found nothing
AVG Antivirus Found nothing
BitDefender Found nothing
ClamAV Found nothing
Dr.Web Found nothing
F-Prot Antivirus Found nothing
Fortinet Found nothing
Kaspersky Anti-Virus Found nothing
NOD32 Found nothing
Norman Virus Control Found nothing
UNA Found nothing
VBA32 Found nothing

circletalk.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  circletalk.zip
 Filesize:  43.46 KB
 Downloaded:  101 Time(s)

Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 10 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: