Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Picking a University
Index -> Student Life
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Bobrobyn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I remember looking at UOIT...where exactly is their uni located, anyways? They look alright, though I prefer a co-op option, heh. Also, anyone here anything about Brock's CompSci program? They have reletively small (as far as I know) classes and is located in St. Catherine's, which is a great place.

Edit: I actually looked at Lakehead a little while ago, and honestly, it looks great, it's just a little too far from home. (I want to be within 10 hours of my hometown, heh)
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
rdrake

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Bobrobyn wrote:
I remember looking at UOIT...where exactly is their uni located, anyways?
It's in North Oshawa. It's still under construction though.
Naveg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Staying with the topic of this thread, is anyone currently in/looking at mechatronics engineering at UW? I've been checking out all the different possibilities (mainly engineering) and it looks very interesting. Is it a valuable program to be in? If anyone has any more info than is on the UW website I'd love to hear it.
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:33 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Mechatronics is pretty hardcore from what I hear. Most people are pretty happy in it though. It'd definitely be a good degree to get.
Naveg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hardcore as in acceptance is very competitive or loads of work, or both?
Martin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:07 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Hardcore in terms of workload. No idea about entrance requirements.
StarGateSG-1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:31 am   Post subject: (No subject)

First off, bears are nice, they only harm you if you harm them or threaten them. If they atatck you its your fault, if you run its your fault he beats you down. Bears are nice and if you know how to deal with one you'll be fine.

UOIT is finsihed in a sense that it is open adn all its courses our running, but you could say for any university that it is not finished becasue new things will always be added.

If anyone is interested in UOIT I am a knowledge bank about it, I know many of the professors and My mom does work there as well, I can find out anything.
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Naveg wrote:
is anyone currently in/looking at mechatronics engineering at UW?

I know for a fact there are at least 4 members here (including myself) who are in that program.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
brenn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Naveg wrote:
Staying with the topic of this thread, is anyone currently in/looking at mechatronics engineering at UW?

I am one of those students Smile

MTE (Mechatronics) is fairly hardcore. Since the program accreditation is still pending, the curriculum requirements have been set well above the minimum to ensure that the Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board will recognize the degree.

It differs from the other engineering programs here at UW in the sense that it covers a broader scope of disciplines--mainly Mechanical, Electrical, Computer, and Systems. Since it's a new program, the courses take adaptations from these four disciplines (newer courses with the MTE label are being developed).

MTE is fairly competetive, both within and without: it's difficult to get into, with one of the highest acceptance averages, and you may find it competitive within your class (MTE 2011, if you enter next fall). The workload is heavy, and really tests your time management and studying efficiency skills. (Caffeine is your friend Smile ) I made it in the program with an 89% average, but of course they consider other factors such as extracurriculars--job or volunteer experience in particular, since this is a co-op program. I came into the program with NO work experience, so it's not absolutely impossible to make it in if you've never worked before. Volunteering experience shouldn't be a problem for you if you are graduating in Ontario this year.

If there's anything in particular you'd like to know, don't hesitate to ask! Smile

I will also redirect you to these two places:

www.tron09.com (homepage of the second incoming class, "The Tronically Hip", Mechatronics graduating class of 2009, who entered in Fall 2004)

www.tron.co.nr (homepage of the third incoming class, "The Peeping TRONs", Mechatronics graduating class of 2010, who entered in Fall 2005)

I hope this helps!
lyam_kaskade

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

bren wrote:

www.tron.co.nr (homepage of the third incoming class, "The Peeping TRONs", Mechatronics graduating class of 2010, who entered in Fall 2005)

Ick. I still dislike that name. Lady Godiva Reference

Anyway, so far Mechatronics has been okay. Hardcore is a good way to describe it. I think bren covered most of it, but if you have any specific questions don't hesitate to ask.
Martin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

From what I hear, it also has a very low dropout rate. Study hard, and I think you'll be fine. You can always switch to another engineering program if you find it too difficult or don't like it.
Naveg

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I'm not too concerned about the workload, I'm more interested in the content and focus of the program. Is there more emphasis on the mechanical aspects or computer/electrical?
brenn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

1A term was much more Mechanically focused (with a course dealing in drafting, CADing); the rest were maths, chemistry, and computer programming.

1B was heavier on Electrical (with a course in Circuits) and mechanical properties discussed in Materials; coupled with the continuation of calculus, another programming course, a physics, and an complementary studies elective.

This site:

http://www.adm.uwaterloo.ca/infoucal/ENG/mechatronics_eng.html

Will give you a list of all the courses we take in each term, and you can decide for yourself which you feel is emphasized more. Smile
Cervantes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

What if I was interested in robotics and the like but was less interested in mechanically designing the robot (or whatever it is) and more interested in the electrical and computer aspect?

I seem to enjoy the mechanical designing. Just... it scares me. Embarassed

Thanks!
brenn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Then you can either go into Electrical engineering, and take Mechanical electives (I'm not sure if this is allowed... technical electives are upper year courses);

or you go into Mechatronics, and take more Electrical electives, and that way you're entitled to both Smile
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 3  [ 35 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: