Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Computer Engineering Course
Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Pinto2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:46 pm   Post subject: Computer Engineering Course

Well, i got Computer science next semestor in my school, and right now i'm re-learning everything that i forgot about turing, plus a little C++ own my own. Although computer science is a possible future for me, i didn't have room for computer engineering. Can anyone who has taken that course (especially anyone in the durham district school board or just the GTA) tell me what they were taught so i can teach myself, or if that course was a load of bul s*** and i don't even need it. Thanks
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
md

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I took gr.12 Computer Engineering (abeit in Ottawa), and it was a load of bull. All we did was a little bit of programming in turing and then we built computer controlled traffic lights. While it was a fun and easy course you won't miss out on anything by not taking it.
timmytheturtle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

In my gr. 12 Computer Engineering class:
We assembled computers, built a small network (we had to make all the ethernet cables) using those computers & played starcraft on that network,
We made a website about computers (irq, parallel, serial, usb, networking, etc..)
Built a small power supply and figured out the sine wave's of the output.
Did ALOT of pencil and paper work (stuff like LCR circuits, calculating freq, XL XC, It (again), resonant freq, etc..),
Tiny bit of turing (just to calculate the answers to all the stuff we learn above (freq, XL XC,etc..),
Put together AM, FM radios.

I'm glad I took comp. engineering, I learned alot of stuff I needed to know. I found the class easy, and fun (at times). Came out with an easy 94.
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:10 am   Post subject: (No subject)

well timmytheturtle seemed to have actually done something.

from what I've heard, the majority simply use Turing as a complicated battery to power their parallel port. Which you could easily play with yourself, assuming you have old enough hardware Laughing
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:18 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I had that corse in grade 12, it was mostly bull. There was some stuff about logic crecits and boolean algrbrea but you will learn thess from the beging again and better in uni if u go in to compsci or comp engering. Also the course did alot of bull with puting a computer together, almost anyone can do that since most componts only fit in one way. There was some asm and robtics but this was very bull and ushely the teacher knows litte about it and no one learns anything. The one cool thing i did was make real ciruit borads witch was cool but very few highschools have such equpement and it dose not realy teach you anything behond basick prismpials of elctrsitiy.

Hostly u could take ablostly no compsci or comp engering corses in highschool and be fine in uni. The system is set up this way for 2 reasons, 1. not all high schools have thess corses and 2. most highschools are planing on geting ride of thess corses if they do have them (at least at the grade 12 level).
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
timmytheturtle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:37 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Hacker Dan wrote:
most highschools are planing on geting ride of thess corses if they do have them (at least at the grade 12 level).

My old high school is almost there, they only have computer engineering class for gr 12 a year (well atleast they did last year) and even then there were only 10 people in the class.

Hacker Dan wrote:
Also the course did alot of bull with puting a computer together

That was the first thing we did in our class, and spent WAY to much time on it. there wasn't anyone in the class who couldn't or hasn't put together a computer. The only good that came from it was the 3 day's spent playing starcraft. Most of us just slacked off in this part and still aced the test (which was install DOS, cdrom drivers through DOS, and start the Win95 installer through DOS)
codemage

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:50 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I'm teaching post-secondary computers, and the only computers course I took in highschool was keyboarding.

A lot of Uni programs will let you take a shorter CompSci course in 1st year if you already have experience, otherwise, they pretty much start out at ground zero.

The ICE courses in highschool are of virtually no use if you're going into the programing side of CompSci. They're of some use if you're doing Engineering - depending on how knowledgeable / good your teacher is.
timmytheturtle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:56 am   Post subject: (No subject)

codemage wrote:
They're of some use if you're doing Engineering - depending on how knowledgeable / good your teacher is.

Which is why I took it, I plan on going into an engineering program in college next year. I belive my teacher was a good teacher, it was just that he sometimes talked about stupid things or just didn't show up (bonus for us).
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
StarGateSG-1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:35 am   Post subject: (No subject)

My grade 12 engineering course was a blast, it was hard to!

First we started with about 2 weeks of theory, seesm like alot but there was no theory for the rest of the year Very Happy

Next we built robots, you know the knew ones that boards can buy and we programed them in VB. Made them do lots of coll things.

Next week spent alot of time on a networking, we made a linux network with all the works, and the sat back and had fun with games, mainly Starcraft and Doom A little Age of Empires to.

After that we went into bread boards, and the challage was to make a robot and make it walk, talk, prefrom taskes, in TURING Ahhhhhhh!! that was hard, we did it all through the parallel port. Do you know how hard it is to activate a voice using turing and a parallel port.
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 9 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: