Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Opera Web-browser
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
1of42

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:37 pm   Post subject: Re: Opera Web-browser

Notoroge wrote:
1of42 wrote:
Not gonna argue. But MINIMALIST!? That interface is like a third of the screen!
WTF? Screenshot time!

Shot 1
Shot 2
Shot 3
Shot 4

By the way: http://www.opera.com/voice/

Last time I tried it (the free version) the interface was huge. It may have changed since then, but when I (briefly) used it, it was MASSIVE.

And if I have to pay for it to get rid of the crappy enormous interface/ads, then I'll stick with Firefox thanks.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Notoroge

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:55 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Wtf? Have you seen the little yellow bar that shows-up on the top of a page in Internet Explorer when a pop-up is blocked or when ActiveX is trying to run? That's about the size of the text-ad shown. And as shown in my screenshots, the interface is minimalist. Just about as equal as Firefox, but with a much slicker-theme and better management as to how things are displayed on the screen.

You're just full of FUD, arent'cha? Eh
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Notoroge wrote:
You're just full of FUD, arent'cha? Eh

No. He's full of bad experiences with prior versions of Opera. It's really hard to overcome years of bad history.
1of42

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wtd wrote:
No. He's full of bad experiences with prior versions of Opera. It's really hard to overcome years of bad history.

*Ding Ding Ding* We have a winner!

Opera may be different now, but I've tried it roughly 3 times in the past, for a bout a month each time, and it never failed to disappoint me. I think I'll stick with Firefox if you don't mind Smile
Cervantes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Moi aussi. I'm sure Opera is great and all, but I don't really want to take the time to get to know it and to make things how I want. Besides, I don't want those text ads.

Oh yeah, and it actually felt a lot slower to me. For example, it doesn't store images, so whenever I load a new compsci page, it's gotta reload all those "MSN" and "PM" images. What a pain!
Notoroge

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Wtf? It's got much better caching of sites than Firefox. If you hit 'back' or 'forward' it doesn't even send a request to the server. It just fires up the site straight from the cache. And it compares different pages to images that are already sotred in the cache to see if different sites call to the same image. It'll never *ever* reload an image unless you clear the cache, or hit the 'Refresh' button.

I think it's well worth the money.
Neo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

If you click on an image, say your avatar, the picture becomes transparent then you can drag it around. I just thought that was cool Laughing , but whats its purpose? I thought maybe you could drag it into paint or something so you dont have to right click but that doesnt work. Confused

BTW its easy to remove the text ads. Twisted Evil
Amailer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I did some checking on the speed and I can see that firefox is faster... it loads the pages faster (for me at least).

I was also testing how fast it loads the images without cache and with cache... firefox is coming up faster
http://fs7.deviantart.com/i/2005/170/f/c/Dragon_Fire_Nebula_by_Swaroop.jpg

Though.. you are right, when you click back its quicker- but still.

**EDIT**
Opera just crash...iunno how, I clicked a link on Devinatart and pff some application error and it crash Shocked
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Cervantes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:27 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Notoroge wrote:
Wtf? It's got much better caching of sites than Firefox. If you hit 'back' or 'forward' it doesn't even send a request to the server. It just fires up the site straight from the cache. And it compares different pages to images that are already sotred in the cache to see if different sites call to the same image. It'll never *ever* reload an image unless you clear the cache, or hit the 'Refresh' button.

1. That's the third time you've started a post with "Wtf?". It's getting predictable! Laughing
2. I figured you would respond with something like that, because I know you're smart enough not to pay for a browser that doesn't do that. But the truth is, that's what it was doing for me. I don't know why. What makes things stranger still is that I loaded it again and now it seems to be caching things.
Regardless of whether it will or not in the future, I'm sticking with Firefox. There doesn't appear to be much difference between the two, and I'm comfortable with Firefox.

As an aside, how secure is Opera?
Notoroge

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Just about the same as Firefox I would assume. I just love the whole browsing experience better. A whole lot more than Firefox; so much so, that I find it better to pay for it than to use the OSS alternative Mozilla has to offer. One thing I really like is that it doesn't have the bad memory-leaking problems Firefox tends to have.
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Dude, just crack it. I mean...uhh.....yeah....
rizzix

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:40 am   Post subject: (No subject)

i experimented around with Opera, and yes it is an improvement.. at first i was like woah, its soo much slower than firefox.. but then again.. i tweaked it a bit,, and its screaming fast! really cool!

i recommend all high-speed users to do this:
go to Tool -> Preferences
click the Advanced Tab
click Browsing
Select "Draw instantly" under "Loading"

haha enjoy the speed
Notoroge

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:28 am   Post subject: (No subject)

rizzix wrote:
i experimented around with Opera, and yes it is an improvement.. at first i was like woah, its soo much slower than firefox.. but then again.. i tweaked it a bit,, and its screaming fast! really cool!

i recommend all high-speed users to do this:
go to Tool -> Preferences
click the Advanced Tab
click Browsing
Select "Draw instantly" under "Loading"

haha enjoy the speed
I told ya so. Wink I don't know how that little detail escaped me. I had it to redraw after 1 second though, so it did't make that huge of a difference. But all tweaks are welcome. Smile
Amailer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:07 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Still- its like it doesn't use the cache when you load huge images (like a wallpaper) like firefox does- thats why it still takes time to load (for images atleast). Thought I must admit- it loads this site (and other sites) pretty darn fast...o.O

Now... does it follow the HTML/CSS and etc rules strictly? or is it like IE?
I sitll won't use it oftet because... it has no extensions Rolling Eyes and i need my extensions....

How do I re-arrange the order that each toolbar is in?
Like I want it this way:
Address bar
Personal bar
And page..bar or w/e its called
Notoroge

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:09 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Yes, it's very standards compliant. Smile
Psst:Right-click the top tool-bar and hit 'Customize' a la' Firefox
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 3  [ 42 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: