Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 VB Programmer with free time needed
Index -> Programming, Visual Basic and Other Basics -> Visual Basic Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
TheZsterBunny

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:02 pm   Post subject: VB Programmer with free time needed

Hi,

I'm not a VB'er, nor do I have an interest in becoming one.

However, for an extracurricular assignment, a VB program would help me greatly. If anyone were willing to volunteer their time, i would be very greatful.

Alright, the program must generate a text file based upon user input. 2 strings will be given. Formatting tags are like basic HTML, but any buttons assisting in the creation would be welcome. Basic stuff. (Bold, Italic, Underline, Alignment, 5x )

Files would have the following structure
code:

&main= "STRING 1"&

&body= "STRING 2"&

File names would be whatever they want .frf

I don't know VB, but any creation would be welcome.

-Z
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Brightguy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:34 am   Post subject: Re: VB Programmer with free time needed

So it just needs to output a file with two strings in it? And the HTML buttons would be like the ones available when posting a message here?
TheZsterBunny

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

pretty much.

There a few other things tho.

You can't include an image, quote, code or list.

Also, the URL tag must also set the font blue and underlined. the end tag must revert.

I know nothing of this language, but from what i've seen, its easier than turing for this kind of thing.

-Z
Andy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

heh learn c++ and do it wit MFC and u'll feel the pain like i did last yr
Brightguy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:34 am   Post subject: Re: VB Programmer with free time needed

You could do this in any language really (just need string manipulation functions). I'd say VB makes it easiest to use text boxes/buttons though.

Anyway, I whipped up something for you, although I'm sure I misunderstood you on a few (or more) details... It basically just allows you to add HTML tags into two text boxes, and it will save the contents of the text boxes in the format that you specified.

StringFormat.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  StringFormat.zip
 Filesize:  4.72 KB
 Downloaded:  177 Time(s)

TheZsterBunny

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:58 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Confused
Windows Popup error wrote:

Component COMDLG32.OCX or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid

-Z
rdrake

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:11 am   Post subject: (No subject)

TheZsterBunny wrote:
Confused
Windows Popup error wrote:

Component COMDLG32.OCX or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid

Do you have the VB runtime files installed on that machine? If not, either create an installer and install it that way using the package and deployment wizard, or install the VB Runtime Files.
Brightguy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:54 pm   Post subject: Re: VB Programmer with free time needed

Yeah, you'll need the VB runtimes if you don't have those installed. And I also used the common dialog control. Does comdlg32.ocx install with the runtimes? If not, there should be plenty of sites that you can download it from. Actually, I had it on an old site here. (Maybe I should actually update something there...) Extract it into your windows /system drive.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
TheZsterBunny

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

It works now

Beautiful.

How easy was that to do?

-Z

--edit---

hrm. the body tag seems to be limited to only one line. is that easily fixed?

-Z
Brightguy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:06 am   Post subject: Re: VB Programmer with free time needed

I'm glad I can help. Sorry about the one-line thing, I disabled the Enter key because I wrote a very simple loading procedure that wont work for multiple lines. You could get around that by holding down Ctrl or just pasting a new line character into the text box, but I'll attach a new version that allows you to press Enter. I didn't change the loading procedure though (even though you didn't specify that, it was simple enough to add so I did).

It was pretty easy to do, basically everything was just string manipulation. The other thing was making the text boxes resizable with the form, which is simple enough as well. I can post the code if anybody is interested... Maybe I could turn it into a tutorial or something. I don't know how helpful it would be though... and then I guess you have to actually have to explain what you're doing Wink Do people actually read the tutorials?

StringFormat.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  StringFormat.zip
 Filesize:  4.68 KB
 Downloaded:  188 Time(s)

TheZsterBunny

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:33 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Tutorials are great. I've written a few myself.

But with 3 midterms, 47 BTX assignments and an MP3 Database looming over my head, i've very little time ^_^

speaking of which, back to study!

-Z
   Index -> Programming, Visual Basic and Other Basics -> Visual Basic Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 11 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: