Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 A blast from the past
Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
wtd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:21 pm   Post subject: A blast from the past

So to get my wife interested in programming I had to dig out the only language she ever really learned back in her days as a programmer geek. Brace yourselves.

Pascal.

But it's kinda fun now. We're both learning it together.

I was able to grab the Free Pascal compiler, and found a decent tutorial.

Probably a good investment for those learning how to program here, especially considering that Pascal and Turing share quite a bit in common, both syntactically and semantically.

Enjoy!

code:
program HelloWorld;
begin
   WriteLn('Hello, world!')
end.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Paul

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Is pascal useful? if it is, and if it really is as you say it is... then I'd look into it.
wtd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well, it can be. Borland's Delphi, one of the most popular development platforms for Windows, is basically Pascal.
zylum

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

pascal is still a very popular language and from what i've heard almost all the schools in asia teach programming with pascal. Also it is one of the few languages you're allowed to use in programming contests
McKenzie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Pascal was designed to teach programming, not unlike Turing. Because the language was so nice it gained wide-spread acceptance. I'm not sure how much it is used these days but there is still loads of code floating around. I thought it would get a resurgance with Delphi but Delphi never took off the way it could have.
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:27 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I don't know. Delphi seems to be quite popular, but just lacks hype.

On the other hand, it would have helped if Borland had made more than a half-hearted attempt to turn Kylix into a real option for programming on Linux.
McKenzie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I know Delphi has a following, but back in '94 I was hoping that it would overtake VB. It came out of the gate with so many features that VB couldn't touch. As usual MS wins through strength of marketing not strength of product.
   Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 7 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: