Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Linux
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
jonos

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

OpenOffice is fast even when run from the Knoppix CD. It has everyone one would ever really need unless you use all the extra MSOffice stuff.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
SuperGenius

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I didnt use it that much... are it's designed uses similar to that of office XP?
jonos

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yeah. If you have no problem with OfficeXP then you will have no problem with OpenOffice.
templest

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I have both installed Office 2k3 and OO.org installed. I use OO.org more though, just because it's so much more customizable than Office.

As a minor but very cool example, you can customize your own shortcuts to do different things. It's great for subscripts, superscripts and special characters when writing up physics labs.

You can also use OO.org to writeup PDFs, something that Office, to my knowledge, doesn't do (at least not yet).
zylum

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:48 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i just d/l the 4 disks of mandrake files and am having trouble burning them... what data mode are the isos? (data mode 1 or 2?), is it raw data? and what is the block size? (2048 or 2352?)

i am using nero and it says:

The entered block size does not correspond to the image length. the block size may be wrong. do you want to correct the value or ignore the problem?

i choose correct but i dont know what the settings should be... any help?
SuperGenius

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 6:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

What are some sites where I would find stuff to download for linux, like the OS and OO and other programs? If I am going to try it I will need some software to go with it.
templest

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 7:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Don't correct it. Just ingnore the error all together. The same thing happened to me, I chose to ignore it, and after burning the installation went fine.
templest

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 8:21 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

And if you want apps for linux, http://freshmeat.net is your friend. Just type whatever you need in the search criteria and you'll find an app to do it, lots of them actually.

There's everything, It's like google for finding Linux apps.

As an example, type: "word processor" and you'll see OO.org in there. Along with AbiWord, Kword/Kwrite, eMacs, ect.

type "media player" and you'll get XMMS, Xine, MPlayer, ect.

Have fun.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Martin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

also check out www.kdelook.org and www.kdeapps.org
Mazer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:54 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Has anybody here tried using enlightenment? I think it'd be cool with the seperate scrollable desktops but it's so different and strange to use. (does it come with a file manager I don't know about Shocked )
templest

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:19 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Darkness wrote:
also check out www.kdelook.org and www.kdeapps.org

Those are apps that only work for the KDE. In otherwords, if you want to use them, and you're using GNOME. You'll have to waste time compiling, and installing KDE just to use those apps, which is a waste of HD space and time. But if you do use KDE, yeah.. go for it, I guess.

As for Enlightenment. It's a crazy UI. If you uber tweak it out, you could make it look a thousand times prettier than OS X, and make it have translucencies and rotating menus, a little ballete on your desktop with not that much resources. Too bad it has no file manager. Very Happy
Mazer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:34 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Darn, I'm too lazy and stupid to do stuff with command line... ah well. But it's still pretty weird to have a desktop and no icons on it.
SuperGenius

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 5:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

two questions:

1. If i try to partition my hard drive is it certain or probable that I will lose data?

2. Will I be able to connect to my lan using linux? I am 99% sure that it is centralized around the router, rather than a proxy.
Mazer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

SuperGenius wrote:

1. If i try to partition my hard drive is it certain or probable that I will lose data?

Maybe, I would think so. See if you have an old hard drive lying around... or just back stuff up and format (I like formatting!).

SuperGenius wrote:

2. Will I be able to connect to my lan using linux? I am 99% sure that it is centralized around the router, rather than a proxy.

Sure. Ignoring the part about centralized and proxy... yes. Smile
SuperGenius

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I had to reconnect it to the network today under windows to do stuff, and it was a pain... does linux (im going to try debian on darkness' advice..) come with the needed stuff to connect it to networks or do I have to hunt down some utility?
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 3 of 4  [ 47 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: