Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Games and Programming Languages
Index -> General Programming
Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Mazer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

shorthair wrote:
You will find tat lots of games use their own uniqu languages , the basis and AI may e in a common language , but most have hteir own engines , thre is a doom engine , quake engine , unreal engine , and some companys pay to use andother companys engine ( perfectly legal )

You can have different engines written in the same language. Catalyst made his 3D engine, Homer made his 3D engine, Zylum made his 3D engine, and they were all different. But they were still made in Turing.
As for lots of games using their own unique language, care to give some examples?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:55 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Something that's really important to understand is that virtually all lightweight languages like Perl, Python, Ruby, Lua, Tcl, etc. are implemented in C. That is the interpreter for the language is written in C and sometimes C++.

This means that internally things like Ruby objects, for instance are C structs. So you can write Ruby code in C, compile it, then load that code into the Ruby interpreter when the Ruby program is run.

It's like writing a C++ program, but writing parts of the program where performance is absolutely critical in assembly. You can do very clever things that the compiler won't necessarily do.

An example:

code:
class Test
  def initialize
    @arr = Array.new
  end
  def add(anObject)
    @arr.push(anObject)
  end
end

Becomes:

code:
#include "ruby.h"

static VALUE t_init(VALUE self)
{
  VALUE arr;

arr = rb_ary_new();
  rb_iv_set(self, "@arr", arr);
  return self;
}

static VALUE t_add(VALUE self, VALUE anObject)
{
  VALUE arr;

arr = rb_iv_get(self, "@arr");
  rb_ary_push(arr, anObject);
  return arr;
}

VALUE cTest;

void Init_Test() {
  cTest = rb_define_class("Test", rb_cObject);
  rb_define_method(cTest, "initialize", t_init, 0);
  rb_define_method(cTest, "add", t_add, 1);
}
shorthair

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:27 am   Post subject: (No subject)

no what im trying to get acooss is that tose engines are the language , i mean look at hte ones done in tuing , they creates like 20 new classes , and new commands , the quake engine adds somthing like 3000 commands , its almost like a language n its own , yes it was writin in c but the engine itself is an entire language , you can write a complete gae with it , i mean look at turing , that was writen in a different language but it created a new one
rizzix

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

huh?

u know shorthair. there is this really thick line between the defination of a language and that what is not a language. and you have crossed it.
Catalyst

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

while the quake engine can completely cover the graphics api or handle physics, it can in no way replace the underlying language.
wtd

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I'd have to agree. You're confusing the underlying language and the vocabulary used with that language.
shorthair

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

im not confusing it , i know the difference , but i m saying that you have a huge influence from the engine , it makes up over half the code , becuase its mostly graphics and physics , im my target game , 90% was writtin in hte graphics engine and about 80 lines were fro mthe acual BLITZ language
Mazer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

shorthair wrote:
im not confusing it , i know the difference , but i m saying that you have a huge influence from the engine , it makes up over half the code , becuase its mostly graphics and physics , im my target game , 90% was writtin in hte graphics engine and about 80 lines were fro mthe acual BLITZ language

I'd say about all of it was written in the Blitz language. If you write a graphics engine in BlitzBasic and write a game that uses that engine, it's still using the Blitz language.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
shorthair

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

if you write a program in C and by chance its tuing , are we all actally coding in C , or are we coding in turing
Catalyst

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

by the blitz language do u mean like if, for, loop, variables and such?
and the graphics whatever function u call for their engine?
Mazer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:10 am   Post subject: (No subject)

shorthair wrote:
if you write a program in C and by chance its tuing , are we all actally coding in C , or are we coding in turing

How about this. If you can think of somebody who has a compiler for the Quake III: Arena language, and then wrote Quake III: Arena in said language, then okay.
SilverSprite

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 8:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

if you write turing in c, then the language you used to write the program is c. however if you use that program to write a code in turing. then the program is in turing.

its like creating a new language. lets say everyone in the world only speaks arabic... and some people think its too hard and want to create englihs. they create english from arabic. but english is its own special language thereafter.
wtd

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 12:26 am   Post subject: (No subject)

The comparison to human languages is actually not too bad here.

Programming languages and their libraries are different in sort of the same way a single script can be used to spell numerous languages.

The Arabic script, for instance, is widely used, yet no one would claim the Arabic and Farsi languages are the same.
   Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 2  [ 28 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: