Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 How is compsci.ca?
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Do you think compsci.ca has gotten better or worse?
(No ending time set)
Better
35%
 35%  [ 10 ]
Worse
42%
 42%  [ 12 ]
Stayed the Same
21%
 21%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 28

Dan

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 3:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

da_foz wrote:

The first thing I noticed was that it seemed to me mostly high school students. That might be incorrect now, but that's what it seems like is General Discussion and in Spam. Don't take this the wrong way, but I notice a difference in maturatly level. As it turns out we are just into slightly different things. I'm not totally sure who I'm refering to when I say we. I see some people who post some great stuff, then turn aroud and post horrible stuff.

Well the reason for that could be that the site was desgined for high school students by high school students Razz . But since most of the mods are going to uni or last year high school next year there will probly be a shift towards a more uni and highschool based fourm.

the_short1 wrote:

**2003 has much fewer posts and users...

May be comapered to then number of posts and users 2004 will have, but for this site 2003 had alot more posts and users then 2002, so much so we had to chage sites to get more space and bandwith to sport the site. The number of users, posts and bandwith used is going up almost expetanly every year and alomost every month now.

the_short1 wrote:

and the reason why noone posts in java and w/e is because this site is mostly aimed at ppl doing turing..... unfortunately... not as many ppl go past that....

maybe if we recruited more xperts at those lanuguages... then we would have more stuff in those forums.... also...

Well i have been whonting to shift the foucose of the site to java and other languges for awhile now but the problem is that there are all ready tones of sites out there for such things. Right now this site is realy helping the turing comunit out alot and is prity much the only turing site around. Alougth this dose not mean we will not go into other languges at all, i am just saying that there will always be a strong place for turing here. Over the sumer and during the updates i whont to try to get the site more in to java since alot of univerys use it for 1st year compsci.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dauntless

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 4:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

How is compsci funded? Out of your own pocket? We have no ads..lol
Dan

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 4:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I pay for it Rolling Eyes

Some day we plan on geting adds to pay for all of it, but most add we have tryed out where some how evil and whould not pay off or whould pay so litte it was not worth it. Also some day we plan on posabley geting spopsers or may be even better yet making money with some dTeam project or other crazy idea.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Dauntless

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 4:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yeah, I'm sure once we got enough programmers we could make a game.. Like in 5 years? Everyone will be out of university with compsci degrees, then you can all make a project together...Each mod is good in their section right? Graphics does graphics, etc.

I for one don't mind pop-ups... It's a lot better than defiling compsci's layout for the almighty dollar, and many people have stuff to catch popups anyways.
Andy

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 5:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

so what do i do?
Mazer

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 6:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Dauntless wrote:
Yeah, I'm sure once we got enough programmers we could make a game.. Like in 5 years? Everyone will be out of university with compsci degrees, then you can all make a project together...Each mod is good in their section right? Graphics does graphics, etc.

Actually, I think it'd be more likely to have a game made before people go to University. After Uni we'll be more experienced, but we'll also be busy with/finding jobs. The beauty of being young is the ability to mooch off of parents.
the_short1

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 6:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

imagine if all the mods and other greats from compsci come together to make a really kick ass game over the summer... then SELL THAT! proceeds to compsci... we should do that.... it would KICK!... have the website mods etc make a kick ass website to host the games page, make it online playable.. and use wicked graphics using the graphics mods etc... whoa... that would ROCK.... compscis first game Smile

yea pop ups dont come up with firefox....

yea... to get money we SHOULD be funded by holtsoft.... cheap bastards.... we are helping their program be great... without compsci... ppl would be lost.. afraid... and not get GOOD help on turing Smile
the_short1

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 6:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

dodge... u inform users of all the wonderful uses of whatdotcolor.,. and save them hundreds of lines of code for colision detection.... so u help a lot ... but in ur own ways... !!! Claping dodge
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Mazer

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 7:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

the_short1 wrote:
imagine if all the mods and other greats from compsci come together to make a really kick ass game over the summer... then SELL THAT! proceeds to compsci... we should do that.... it would KICK!... have the website mods etc make a kick ass website to host the games page, make it online playable.. and use wicked graphics using the graphics mods etc... whoa... that would ROCK.... compscis first game Smile

Yeah! We could call it the dTeam project!
Amailer

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 7:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

you know this graphics mod sucks compared to tony and catalyst (3d.. sigh..) Rolling Eyes
the_short1

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 9:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yea... well the dTeam project dont do anything.... they have like 4 things in that section..... wallpapers, Dan sprite... wait thats only 2... common.. gota start making stuff... stupid school getting in the way Wink Laughing amiler... 'this graphics sucks compare to tony / catalyst 3d'.....what are u talking about???? what graphics?
jonos

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 9:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Where in hell's frozen abyss is the Dark Side. That is why I stuck around.
Catalyst

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 10:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

We should restart the dTeam (with a different name)
the_short1

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 6:39 am   Post subject: (No subject)

or just some new ppl that are goign to be more activive in developing stuff.... and compsci should hold a dTeam meetiing like twice a month to discuss what they coud make or w/e... they could meet on MSN multi person conversations........ cuz no one is making square for dTeam except for Dan and his kickass sprite....
Mazer

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 6:44 am   Post subject: (No subject)

So how about you make something?
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 4 of 6  [ 82 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: