Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 How is compsci.ca?
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Do you think compsci.ca has gotten better or worse?
(No ending time set)
Better
35%
 35%  [ 10 ]
Worse
42%
 42%  [ 12 ]
Stayed the Same
21%
 21%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 28

Dan

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 4:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

In theroy yes, but you most rember that your isp caps your max banwith and the cable or dsl modem has a maxiume speed it can take. The avg netwrok card thess days is 10/100 so if your max netconection is slower then that it is not going to make any diff. For network transfer it whould seeped things up BUT both comps whould have to have more then one network card since it whould max out at 10 or 100.

Got to rember that it all slowes down to the lowested speed thing in btween the server and the clinent.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
the_short1

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 6:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

not having more then one comp... have 3 nic cards all in ONE comp... then connect all three to a router...

of course ur internet is capped by ur isp... but thats not the point....

lets say u are watching streaming a video in winamp.. ur internet will be really slow if u are also trying to download something... so...
having more then one nic card... then

with first nic card watch a streaming video
second nic card u can download that huge file
thrid one u can visit websites.

that way... each one would have lets say 2000 Kb bandwidth for their operation instead of trying to share 2000 Kb for download, video, and webpage... therefore making it faster ...

but how to aceess each card seperatly for each operation is the part in which i dont know how that would work... Sad
Mazer

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 8:31 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

No, they're still sharing the same connection, and therefore, the same bandwidth. It'd probably just make it worse because you now have three network cards going at once... if you could even get that working.
da_foz

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 11:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I don't think having a forum called 'Spam' helps much. Every board needs an offtopic area, but maybe something useful that is not spam. The Spam forum is close, but its misnamed and needs a new set of rules.

One of the first things I noticed when I came here was it seemed like there were tons of mods. I guess there is a mod for each language (or that's what it seems to me), and that makes a lot. Not sure what to do about that.

New blood is needed. Get people to come here for more then just help. Maybe start with them getting help, but then they need to get involved in the 'community'.

To me, it seems mostly like the same people posting the same things.
the_short1

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 4:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

this comming from someone with 32 posts....

lots of new blood.... members like GreenTiger, Kit-kat-kid, mypistolsin3d,and others are getting really involved and they came here wanting help....

why have these 'rules' for spam.... who cares..... u come to spam to talk all u want.. and it dont give u bits or anything... why change to offtopic.... spam is offtopic crap bout anything or ur website... w/e
Mazer

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 4:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

the_short1 wrote:

In my experience, a user's value to a community is often inversely proportional to their post count. Someone can always dick around all day in any section of the forum talking about stuff without helping anybody much, or they could spend most of their time being productive and coming here to show us what they've accomplished once in a while.

the_short1 wrote:
lots of new blood.... members like GreenTiger, Kit-kat-kid, mypistolsin3d,and others are getting really involved and they came here wanting help....

Again is that getting involved with computer science, or getting involved in this forum?
the_short1

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 6:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

what u mean by the comunity...?? this is COMPSCI ! so oviously they get into computer science... !.....

what do u want more users to be like?
Paul

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 6:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

the_short1 wrote:
what u mean by the comunity...?? this is COMPSCI ! so oviously they get into computer science... !.....

what do u want more users to be like?

Dauntless would be an example,
and Jonos, since he doesn't program anymore.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
the_short1

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 8:21 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

so what mazer wants is MORE ppl like jonos and dauntless??? what about more ppl like Maverick, PB, Me, Mazer, shorthair,etc ??? cuz we know we are the hearts of compsci rite Wink Laughing
jonos

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 8:33 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

More people who find it painful to post outside of the Spam Area.
da_foz

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 10:15 am   Post subject: (No subject)

the_short1 wrote:

why have these 'rules' for spam.... who cares..... u come to spam to talk all u want.. and it dont give u bits or anything... why change to offtopic.... spam is offtopic crap bout anything or ur website... w/e

The one thing the post count does not show is how much time is actually spent on the board. Also, how many posts / time a person has been part of other boards. My comments are because of how I have seen other boards managed. I understand not all boards are created equal and different boards have different rules because that is what the current community wants. I am simply giving my opinion.

Another thing I notice is that I can not come here for a week and when I come back the most of the active topics have not changed with few new topics. For most boards which I frequent, something like that would mean 99% of the memebership has disapeared. This may be ok, it all depends on what kind of board you want. I don't make the rules here, on opinion was asked for and that is what I gave.

Your comments show a lack of thought. This thread is about opinions regarding this website. All you did was flame my response instead of actually giving an opinion.

Well done!
Dan

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 11:44 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Well it dose show you how long a user has been here in there profile.

As for active topics, that is true if u are just looking at the spam section but active topics in turing help and other computer progaming realted fourms chage prity fast and this is most likey b/c this is what this fourm is about.

As for the spam section, it may not dircely help the comoutiy but i do not think it is hurting it ether. It keeps all the offtopic posts in one place and for users that do not whont to here about such things it makes it easy for them to aviod them. Also it makes the commuity more of a comunity, if you have some rant you whont other progames to know about you can go nuts in the spam section with out poleolp being mad at you for posting in a fourm that is about computer sinces. Alougth i will admin that it dose get out of conotrl some times, but thats what mods are for.

There are alot of mods it may seem, but most of them do there job and u need alot of mods when there are alot of posts. We are plaing on chaing up the mod system a bit when we make the updates and v3.

Dont wory about poleop flaming you, they are just a litte secitive when poleop talk about destorying there spam section Razz .
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
da_foz

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 12:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hacker Dan wrote:
Well it dose show you how long a user has been here in there profile.

Point Hacker Dan
What it does not show is how much time you actually spend here. Point Fozzy:P

Hacker Dan wrote:
As for active topics, that is true if u are just looking at the spam section but active topics in turing help and other computer progaming realted fourms chage prity fast and this is most likey b/c this is what this fourm is about.

Ok. That is the part of the forum I don't use very much. The only section which I could be of any help in is the Java section and that is one of the less active help sections...and most of the questions that I have looked at seem to involve GUIs which I suck at.

Hacker Dan wrote:
As for the spam section, it may not dircely help the comoutiy but i do not think it is hurting it ether. It keeps all the offtopic posts in one place and for users that do not whont to here about such things it makes it easy for them to aviod them. Also it makes the commuity more of a comunity, if you have some rant you whont other progames to know about you can go nuts in the spam section with out poleolp being mad at you for posting in a fourm that is about computer sinces.

I don't think it is hurting and I agree that something like it is needed. My point was that most other boards I have been on still have some kind of rules. I find the spam section too much spammy (if that makes any sense). I think people still need to use some kind of judgment about what they post. Flaming is always bad. Post a reply with some reasons.

Hacker Dan wrote:
Dont wory about poleop flaming you, they are just a litte secitive when poleop talk about destorying there spam section Razz .

I'm not too worried, I just rather they give reasons. Back things up at bit.

One of the main reasons I came to this forum was because it was a computer science forum. I did not come here for programming help, I came to chat with people who might be into some of the same things as me.

The first thing I noticed was that it seemed to me mostly high school students. That might be incorrect now, but that's what it seems like is General Discussion and in Spam. Don't take this the wrong way, but I notice a difference in maturatly level. As it turns out we are just into slightly different things. I'm not totally sure who I'm refering to when I say we. I see some people who post some great stuff, then turn aroud and post horrible stuff.

I'm not sure what it is exactly I'm after, but I can say I think this board has some great things going for it. I will continue to hang around.
da_foz

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 12:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

One other comment, 2 announcements and 5 stickeys is a lot to always be at the top of the Gerneral Discussion forum.
the_short1

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 3:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yea... i agree with that.,... that is why one forum got all stickies reomoved....
we shuld try to limit to under 5.... maybe combine a couple....

for v3 dan... is it posible to add a notepad feature to the users personal profile??? like with invisionfree.com their forums have a notepad in the profile so u can leave notes there for yourself... ... if u want to see for yourself i can make u an account at my forum that im starting to make so u can see it yourself... its pretty handy.........

we cant show number of hours since logon to last click time because some ppl leave it open a while during the time they are finding links or w.e,,,,, s it wont be acurate..... but it would be cool......

something to ad that would work would be:
right under where it shows bits and posts... show how many threads the user has created....

sorry if i flamed u da_foz....tis cool that u into the java section... we need more of u...

and the reason why noone posts in java and w/e is because this site is mostly aimed at ppl doing turing..... unfortunately... not as many ppl go past that....

maybe if we recruited more xperts at those lanuguages... then we would have more stuff in those forums.... also...

i predict that next year compsci will have much more activity in those forums.... because more ppl that are in gr10 rite now will know of compsci b4 gr.11 and will start posting.... this years gr.11 + students did not come to compsci because compsci was still a new thing.... **2003 has much fewer posts and users...
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 3 of 6  [ 82 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: