Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 [Poll] CCC scores
Index -> Contests
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:20 am   Post subject: [Poll] CCC scores

i figured by this time most of you have already know your scores from your teacher. please post your final score and contest (junior/senior) you took. I cant find the poll option so i guess we have to do this by replying.

I'll start: Senior/56
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
AsianSensation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:23 am   Post subject: (No subject)

60 junior, somebody beat me by 3 because they hardcoded the last question...
Brightguy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:15 pm   Post subject: Re: [Poll] CCC scores

Senior - 35

I know I could've done better, but oh well. It was fun anyway.
zylum

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

senior - 35... man, that test wasnt that hard... still disapointed at my performance
shorthair

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:11 am   Post subject: (No subject)

senior -30
Maverick

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

junior-45 i was surprised
limited_skillz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

junior 29 - and im taking grade 12 right now too

that officialy ended any desire to become a programmer anymore

i dont know how i did so bad, i mean most of my programs didnt work properly lol, but i always rely on part marks

the thing that hurt me the most is 0/15 on the 2nd one, i still dont even know how to fix it, i dont know why they gave me 0 on the 4th one as well, it worked perfectly on the sample input, just for a few other words it gave off strange characters

i think some dude takin the grade 10 course beat me Sad, and everyone looks up to me in grade 11 as the best programmer
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Dont let the CCC rune your dreams of being a progamer. The CCC in my opttion is not a test of your porgaming skill but rather one of reading poorly words questions, know obscury algirthmis and knowing obscury math facts. Even my progaming teacher had problems doing some of this years questions and i bet if you piced random poleop in progaming crears and gave them this test they whould not do that well. It just dose not repesent porgaming in real life, just like the math test they have dose not repsent math questions you whould see comnly in real life.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:26 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I completely disagree with you Dan.
How would you know if they are not useful to the real world? Computer programming is not math. Every program you make have is already an application. J4 is simple encryption, we use encryption every day. J5 is a visualization of fractals. S3 is spreadsheets, like MS Excel. and i am sure what we did was a simple version of what Excel implemented.
We live in a 3D world and S4 shows what it is all about. S5 is useful in game programming, along with most other graph algorithms.
The CCC Senior requires knowledge of common algorithms, which have tens of thousands of applications in real world, and is what most programmers should know. they are by know means obscure. Since CCC is general, it has to be algorithm based. Usually most programmer are focused in one section. but the advantage is that you can use what you know in general to apply to a specific situation, while you cant.
Lastly the CCC problems arent at all hard... But you order to do well, you need a clear focus of the problem in order to solve it.

limited_skillz mentioned that his program worked for sample input but did not work otherwise. This is very common. I understand the fraustrations of one making an "almost-working" program but in the end getting little or no marks. What anybody need to do is to extensively test your program to ensure that no bugs exist (or at least look over the code against after you code it). And dont tell me real programmers does not have this practice.
limited_skillz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 2:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well except for the last one, i could understand the problem fine

i know i really underachived, i mean none of those things were taught in class, but they did use many concepts we learned

i knew there was bugs, but i didnt want to waste too much time on them, if this were an assignment, i would spend a good portion of time at home debuggin by memory maps and whatever, but limited time on this one

oh and can anyone give me the solution to j2, that would surely bring my spirit up

heres my basic algorithm which isnt right

code:
var startX, endX : int
put "Starting Year: "..
get startX
put "Ending Year: "..
get endX

for year : startX .. endX
    if year mod 2 = 0 and year mod 3 = 0 and year mod 4 = 0 and year mod 5 = 0 then
        put year
    end if
end for

maybe i should have done this to get a few marks

code:
for year : startX .. endX by 60
    put year
end for
Paul

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I dunno, thats how I would do it if the positions change every 2, 3, 4, 5 years, I don't remeber the exact question.
But according to the marking, if you entered 2004 as starting date, and 2150 as ending or something the years where they all change positions would be:
All positions would change in year 2064
All positions would change in year 2124
limited_skillz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

The question was: if government positions change every : 2,3,4,5, years make a program that would put all years from user requested starting year to ending year that EVERY position would change.

The sample input was: 2000 - 2100 for the years

and 2000, 2064 was the output.

I thought that if every number could be modulod with no remainder, it was one of those years.

I cant think of any other way to do this. It doesnt work like that though.
AsianSensation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:33 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

greatest common multiple of 2,3,4,5 is 60, so that means every 60 years, everyone changes.

so do this

code:
for rep: inputYear .. futureYear by 60
   put rep
end for
limited_skillz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

damit my second method was right, and that was the one i thought of at first

but i thought it was a set number of years, and not just every 60

cause i was like, what if my first year is 1999 and the last one is 2100

then it would be 1999 and 2059, i thought it HAD to be 2000 and 2060 Sad

****! oh well theres next year
Paul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

limited_skillz wrote:
damit my second method was right, and that was the one i thought of at first

but i thought it was a set number of years, and not just every 60

cause i was like, what if my first year is 1999 and the last one is 2100

then it would be 1999 and 2059, i thought it HAD to be 2000 and 2060 Sad

****! oh well theres next year

I've seen ppl get it right with your first method, or something like it.
   Index -> Contests
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 25 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: