Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Who Took my bits
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Paul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

That was definately not spam cervantes. But I think Azn already is easier on the rule. if you look at the turing section now, there are some posts that are no better than the ones you linked above, some even worse, like 3 words and he hasn't gotten angry. I think azn just wanted to make examples out of us and strike fear into our hearts.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
AsianSensation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:00 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Paul Bian wrote:
I think azn just wanted to make examples out of us and strike fear into our hearts.

"To kill a chicken for the monkeys to see" - Ancient Chinese proverb

basicly, that meant to make an example out of someone so no one else will attempt again. So far, it's working.

btw, Cervantes, A discussion on physics is relevent, and often educational, I would not consider that spam. Spam is when you talk like you would on MSN. To the second link, Most of the stuff were spam in the first page, and since a topic already existed about whether turing is useful language or not, then I would have to lock another topic gearing toward the same conversation. You are telling me having repeated conversations of the same topic is not spam?
Paul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

[quote="AsianSensation]
basicly, that meant to make an example out of someone so no one else will attempt again. So far, it's working.
[/quote]
Is this just for the turing Help section? cause I swear I see a post with one word.
Cervantes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

no Asian, it is not spam if there are two discussions on the same or similar topic. Many people don't use the search funtion before they ask for help and they ask a question that has already been asked. It's not spam to answer that's person's question.
also in the second link I (as best I could) said what McKenzie said in a previous thread comparring Turing to Java and C. I don't think Boarder16 saw the first thread, but I'm pretty sure he saw it in his own forum. I was just getting a point across.

As for making an example of somebody, it would appear as though you made an example of 5 people.
Hacker Dan wrote:

hummm, lets take a look

dans bit log wrote:

AsianSensation paulbian -100
AsianSensation we64 -100
AsianSensation paulbian -59
AsianSensation we64 -89
AsianSensation jonos -100
AsianSensation recneps -90
AsianSensation shorthair -200

seems to be more than just making an example to me...

a total of 738 bits were taken away.
furthermore, it appears that when Paulbian lost 59 bits he lost ALL the bits he had at that time.
It would also appear that when we64 lost 89 bits, he lost ALL his bits.

That appears to be a rather harsh and exagerrated
AsianSensation wrote:
example out of someone
recneps

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

and just as tony said that dan said, bit can be removed in REASONABLE amounts. No matter how much they spammed, thats abusing powers to take away 200 bits. I agree with what you're doing, but people only get 1 or 2 bits per post. i dont think 3 spam posts or whatever is worth 200 posts worth of bits. you should only take maybe 5 bits per spam post. Honestly.

Edit:Oh and, of the "spam" posts which i have made, which are simply either telling aperson that i understand what they are saying, but cannot help, they are not being ignored, makes me lose ALL my bits now?
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

let it go allready. he has easyed off the spamers now any way, no need to keep this going.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
shorthair

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i have no problem letting it go when the rules are firmed up all i want to know is why i got more taken away , i thin kif you spam it should be per post and a set # for each one , not random numbers you make uptaht make 2 guys lose all eh bits they worked to get , it was a whole one post , i mean we have had spammers that take over forums , and then say their sorry and nothing happens to them , ???? . , jsut make you rules about spamming more clear , and last i go by compsci rules not yours , if its in Dans Rule list i follow it , but jsut takin matter into your own hands without giving a warning on hte main page or pm ing all active users ,

" il let it go when he cleans up his statements "
AsianSensation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

There is always a way to find excuses, if I took bits from 1 person, they will tell me why I only picked on them and not anyone else. If I took bits from multiple people, people will complain why didn't I take bits from 1 person, if it's only to make an example out of someone. If I take too little, then that would not stop the useless posts in relevent threads. If I take too much, then you complain about the amount of bits that I took, which, may I add, that most of these people received through spamming, 1 way or another. I am pretty sure shorthair's programming skills did not gave him 3000+ bits (even if a third came from Mazer). Think a moment before you talk, and speak intelligently. "il let it go when he cleans up his statements" just makes you look childish, like some petulant toddler who cries because he was punished for breaking a precious vase.

As I said, to the people that lost their bits, it was to make an example out of you guys. You just happened to spam on that particular day, on that particular thread. Guess it wasn't your lucky day. To all the other people that asked me the validity of their posts, whether it was spam or not, here is the guideline: if the post is like one of the msg you would type to your friends while using MSN, then it's spam. Educational posts, such as a relevent discussion, would not be spam. However, as soon as you diverge into the direction of useless posts, such as "Sorry, dude, can't help you there." when 1 question was asked, then that would be spam. I mean, why would you ever answer a question if you don't know the answer? I am sure alot of other people can't help with that problem, but if everyone posts "no, can't help you", then we wouldn't be much of a help forum.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 3 of 3  [ 38 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: