Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Second Degree, Computer Science
Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
CopperNerves

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:56 pm   Post subject: Second Degree, Computer Science

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on this forum, so I apologize if it's redundant or unconventional.

In April, I will be graduating with a B.Sc. in Pharmacology with minors in Chemistry and Psychology. I'm sure that doesn't sound at all related to computer science, but my honours thesis is focused on computational CNS drug discovery, and on a personal level, I really enjoy digital illustration/modelling and programming. Long-term, I'd like to research, design, and develop interactive scientific animations and 'games.' A few examples would be "What's in your blood?" by Potions, and "Geonomics Digital Lab" by Spongelab Interactive. So, with that in mind, I've been planning to pursue a second degree in computer science after I graduate.

The Honours Co-Op degree I've been looking at has quite a few concentrations, but the ones I've been focusing on are: Video Game Design, Computer Graphics, and Human-Computer Interaction. Aesthetically speaking, the courses sound great, and range from software development to designing graphical computer interfaces to animation. However, I haven't taken many courses in computer science, so I'm not entirely sure what I'm getting myself into. I know that an honours program is a must for me, because research (i.e. graduate school) is my primary interest, and I can't imagine not doing a research project. But, I would appreciate, and am open to any, insight from someone with more experience.

Thank you!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:26 pm   Post subject: Re: Second Degree, Computer Science

CopperNerves @ Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:56 pm wrote:
Long-term, I'd like to research, design, and develop interactive scientific animations and 'games.'

You can get started with http://processingjs.org/
Quote:

Processing.js makes your data visualizations, digital art, interactive animations, educational graphs, video games, etc. work using web standards and without any plug-ins.

There's another recent thread that is somewhat similar -- http://compsci.ca/v3/viewtopic.php?t=38417 -- which suggests that there are avenues to go for CS Masters (after a short bridge program). If your primary interest is in academia, that might be a more interesting option, instead of ending up with two Bachelor's Degrees.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 2 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: