Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Do I have chances to get into University of Waterloo as a international student?
Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
usernamelucas

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:38 pm   Post subject: Do I have chances to get into University of Waterloo as a international student?

So, I'm on my penultimate year of High School, and my grades (big part of them) are > 85 (our grades are from 0 to 10, so they are actually > 8,5). Here in Brazil, we don't have elective subjects, so to every school, is demanded to the student study History, Portuguese, English, Chemestry, Physics, Social Studies, Philosophy, Mathematics, Biology, Art, Geography, and Gym. The things is, I study in a diferent school. In my school, we have 4 more subjects. In the first year of HS, the subjects are: Harware, Introducing to Computer Sci, Programming Logics, and App Systems. In the second year: scientific methodology I, Computer Network, Programming I and Database Studies. In the third year: Scientific Methodology II, Programming II and another subject that I can't remember the name.
I'm Starting a simple software project this year, finishing it on december (it's just a software to the invetory control, with permissions levels). And next year I'll start a arduino project, which I'll try to relate with recycling in my town.
And one last thing, I had never won any medal from Math contests, but in this year, my math grades are > 95 (9,5).

Actually, this is the last thing: my english grades are > 90 (9).

What I wanna know is: do I have chances to get into University of Waterloo?

Canada Canada Canada
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:44 pm   Post subject: RE:Do I have chances to get into University of Waterloo as a international student?

Looks like it will depend mostly on your...
Quote:

General requirements: Certificado de Conclusao de Ensino Medio + Vestibular (university entrance exam)/ENEM (Middle Education National Examination)

https://uwaterloo.ca/find-out-more/admissions/admission-requirements/2/9/1000/34/37/0/0
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
usernamelucas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:20 am   Post subject: Re: Do I have chances to get into University of Waterloo as a international student?

Okay. But, the certificado de conclusao de ensino medio is just a paper that will prove I have finished High School (not yet). And I think I can go well on ENEM.

Anyways, they care about grades right?
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:47 pm   Post subject: RE:Do I have chances to get into University of Waterloo as a international student?

usernamelucas @ Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:20 am wrote:
Anyways, they care about grades right?

Yes, they care about grades. If you look up requirements for systems such as A-levels or IB, they will list grade requirements.

You seem to have good grades, but the challenge would be getting them compared against international standards.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
usernamelucas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:36 pm   Post subject: Re: Do I have chances to get into University of Waterloo as a international student?

What are the international standards?
And I didn't say the program that I will apply to. I will try 2 programs, Computer Sci and Computer Engineering.

One more question: ENEM's score goes from 0 to 1000. do you know the required score to ENEM?
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:44 pm   Post subject: RE:Do I have chances to get into University of Waterloo as a international student?

For either program, someone will be looking at the applications, to decide whom to accept. They would have to figure out how your 95 in Math compares to 95 in Ontario. My understanding is that within the province, this might actually be adjusted on per-school level -- some schools are simply easier than others. By "international standards" I mean that certain systems are understood well enough that someone can refer to a document to translate those grades to Canadian equivalent.

Ultimately there is no specific grade that will guarantee admission -- you would have to apply and see what happens. It is a good idea to apply to multiple schools, at a variety of difficulty levels.
usernamelucas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:54 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Do I have chances to get into University of Waterloo as a international student?

Tony @ 23/9/2014, 22:44 wrote:
It is a good idea to apply to multiple schools, at a variety of difficulty levels.

Yeah, I was thinking about that. My first choice is UofT. Than UofW. And some another university (need to search)

Well, thank you so much. I just need to wait and study.
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:33 pm   Post subject: RE:Do I have chances to get into University of Waterloo as a international student?

UofT and UofW are typical 1st or 2nd choices for Computer Science in Canada. UBC in Vancouver might be a good 3rd pick (mostly for industry connections in Seattle, but Vancouver has a growing tech scene of its own).
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 8 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: