Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Computer Donations
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Nathan4102

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:52 pm   Post subject: Computer Donations

I need more extra-curricular activities for my university application, so I decided I'd refurbish and donate computers to a local charity.

The only active local charity I've found though refused to sign off my volunteer stuff, since the computers I'm donating could be built by anybody.

Am I still able to use this on a university application or a resume even if the charity refuses to sign off on it? OR any other local charities I could try? I'm in the KW region near Toronto.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Insectoid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:17 pm   Post subject: RE:Computer Donations

Sure, I don't see why not. If they ask about it just explain the situation. I didn't include any extra curricular at all in my applications and I got in no problem.
Nathan4102

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:19 am   Post subject: RE:Computer Donations

Ok sounds good, I won't worry too much about getting it signed then. Still gotta finish my 40 hours though -_-

That's suprising, I've been told a bajillion times that marks aren't enough since everyone who applies has high marks, you need extra curriculars to set yourself apart from the others. Maybe you got lucky!
andrew.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:04 pm   Post subject: RE:Computer Donations

The only volunteer work that I submitted to UW was my 40 hours from high school and I got into ECE no problem. That said, my marks were pretty good so maybe it only matters when your marks are closer to the acceptance threshold.
Insectoid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:29 pm   Post subject: RE:Computer Donations

Also there wasn't exactly a lot of competition at my school.
Nathan4102

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:35 pm   Post subject: RE:Computer Donations

If the universities don't have to accept x students from each HS, why does it matter that there wasn't much competition in your school?
Insectoid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:31 pm   Post subject: RE:Computer Donations

At my university, not my high school. There's not a huge demand for compsci at Lakehead. If you apply, you'll get in. The quality of the program is decent though.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 7 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: