Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Access Excel data to arraylist
Index -> Programming, Java -> Java Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Tallguy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:15 pm   Post subject: Access Excel data to arraylist

Hey guys quick question,

I need to open a .xls file that is acting as a repository for data that is dynamic (# of rows and cols vary between each user). I need to access the rows/cols and display that data into a JTable, allow the user to make entries (via a popup) and save the changes back into the .xls

Here is the kicker, due to security firewall at work I cant use external third party libraries so Apache POI API, and JExcelApi are useable, which just happens to be what pops up for every hit when you good "Java import excel data"

Any thoughts?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
DemonWasp

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:22 pm   Post subject: RE:Access Excel data to arraylist

Non-obvious question: why are you doing this in Java rather than through Excel? Excel is already built to do exactly this thing.

Secondly, if you can't use the existing CSV / XLS libraries, you'll need to do some more research into why you can't do that -- and by extension, how you could possibly get around that restriction.
Tallguy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:59 am   Post subject: RE:Access Excel data to arraylist

I wanted to use just excel but the team I'm on wants a GUI interface that looks pretty.....

The why part is because I work for the government and we just cant DL anything that doesn't have the governments stamp of approval on it.

I wanted to use MySQL or some light weight database, but again cant use software that hasn't been assigned to me (believe me this is a programmers nightmare), I could just use a .txt as my data source, would prefer excel but doesn't matter.

Thoughts on using a local (or on a shared drive so those with access to it can use the tool) data source?
Tallguy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:14 am   Post subject: RE:Access Excel data to arraylist

Managed to get access to the Apache POI API maven repositories, hopefully this works out
   Index -> Programming, Java -> Java Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 4 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: