Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Trying to figure out how to accelerate grahics with the GPU
Index -> Programming, Java -> Java Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Raknarg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:10 pm   Post subject: Trying to figure out how to accelerate grahics with the GPU

Hey everybody. Recently I've made it my own personal project to create a java library that allows you to do graphics and applications similar to Processing, with a library full of widgets. My goal for this is to make it easier to make games and applications in Java (for me anyways), as I'm used to a certain setup for programming. Anyways, in Processing, they have an option to set up the screen in P2D mode when you start, which essentially allows graphics to be processed through your GPU rather than your CPU, making your animations faster. I was wondering how I would do something like that in java. Is it relatively trivial, or a lot of work? I don't care either way, but I have no idea how to go about this.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Insectoid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:37 pm   Post subject: RE:Trying to figure out how to accelerate grahics with the GPU

If you really want to do this, there are libraries that will let you interface with openGL. A word of warning though, it's much, much easier and far more useful to just learn to do graphics the Java way.
Raknarg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:44 pm   Post subject: RE:Trying to figure out how to accelerate grahics with the GPU

Is the Graphics2D stuff already GPU accelerated? I am using that, I'm basically just trying to use that and only a JFrame Razz sorry if I misspoke
Insectoid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:52 am   Post subject: RE:Trying to figure out how to accelerate grahics with the GPU

It isn't, but there are classes that are. A little google goes a long way.
Raknarg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:19 am   Post subject: RE:Trying to figure out how to accelerate grahics with the GPU

See I always try to google this stuff first but the problem is that I don't exactly know what I'm looking for, it makes it hard to search
Insectoid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:40 pm   Post subject: RE:Trying to figure out how to accelerate grahics with the GPU

Searching 'java accelerated graphics' returns this stackoverflow thread as the first result, which will point you to the volatileImage class.
   Index -> Programming, Java -> Java Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 6 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: