Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Bragging
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
btiffin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:01 am   Post subject: Bragging

On the 30th anniversary of the original GNU announcement to Usenet, I got this in the mail this morning.

"I hereby dub GNU Cobol a GNU package, with you as its maintainers."

Woohoo. OpenCOBOL is now GNU Cobol, and I get the honour of filling the role as GNU maintainer.

We've been dubbed.

Oh, and everybody should try out OpenCOBOL 2.0, http://sourceforge.net/projects/open-cobol/files/open-cobol/2.0/open-cobol-2.0-feb2012.tar.gz/download recently uploaded to SourceForge. It'll soon all be branded GNU Cobol.

Oh yeah, my Pygments lexer for COBOL is already in use at SourceForge. http://sourceforge.net/p/open-cobol/discussion/lounge/thread/a661c3f5/

Donating time and code to open projects is pretty rewarding. It's like getting badges. I recommend it to everyone. Badges.

Cheers
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:20 am   Post subject: RE:Bragging

Very nice, congratulations!
Raknarg

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:10 am   Post subject: RE:Bragging

Aha this sounds cool, but I don't really understand what you're talking about -.-'
btiffin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:43 pm   Post subject: RE:Bragging

Raknarg;

It seems I've volunteered myself into a position of high nerdom, as a GNU maintainer for the GNU Cobol project.

Cheers
mirhagk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:15 pm   Post subject: RE:Bragging

Wow that's pretty awesome. I hope one day to get a project to that level of popularity/usefulness.

So when are you going to create the wikipedia page Razz
Raknarg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:35 pm   Post subject: RE:Bragging

What does that entail though? (I dont quite know what either of those two are)
mirhagk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:24 pm   Post subject: RE:Bragging

Think of GNU as meaning like crazy, intense, awesome linux. (I know this isn't technically true, but it's close enough for most people's understanding)

The GNU packages are the kinds of packages that exist on every linux machine, it's like ultimate nerdom.

The job comes with a mandatory beard correct?
Raknarg

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:32 pm   Post subject: RE:Bragging

So is GNU another freeware OS then?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Insectoid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:38 pm   Post subject: RE:Bragging

GNU does contain an OS, but that's just a small piece of the pie. GCC, for example, stands for 'GNU Compiler Collection', which is one of the more popular compilers for several different languages. The wiki entry for GNU has a pretty good rundown of what exactly GNU is.
btiffin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:04 am   Post subject: RE:Bragging

Linux is the kernel, GNU is the userland. Most distros of Linux are GNU/Linux.

The kernel allows for the lowlevel disk read, write and process exec calls while GNU brings the cat, cp command and GNOME and ... the userland.

Umm, if that helps.

Cheers
btiffin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:44 am   Post subject: RE:Bragging

mirhagk;

Not beard contest yet, but I'm looking forwards...

Cheers,
BigBear

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:20 pm   Post subject: RE:Bragging

So OpenCOBOL is now allowed to use the GNU name?

Or were the two associated before?
btiffin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:20 am   Post subject: RE:Bragging

OpenCOBOL is now GNU Cobol, accepted by Dr. Stallman (on the 30th anniversary of GNU no less)

Plan is to keep as many OpenCOBOL links alive as possible during the rename and rebranding. So hopefully no OpenCOBOL searches will fail in the future.

When Keisuke started OpenCOBOL back in the late nineties, he planned on GNU membership. Roger While had the same plan and the whole source tree is libtool and uses the GNU Coding Standard. So acceptance was pretty easy in terms of the code review.

(Keisuke is also a Guile contributor, responsible for the 2.0 virtual machine, so that didn't hurt either. But now I'm kinda on the tag for adding ./configure --with-guile to the GNU Cobol build, sooner rather than later).

Fun days ahead.

Technical evaluation copy can be grabbed at http://opencobol.add1tocobol.com/gnucobol-1.1.tar.gz but the fun really starts when we post 2.0 and FUNCTION-ID support.

I'm only a few days in on the GNU programmers mail list. Polite and joyful on one hand, and head-butt opinionated on the other. Nice. Stuff comes out right, even when contentious. Smile

Cheers
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 13 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: