Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Why Does Ubuntu Appear To Be Smarter Than Windows 8?
Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
randint

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:16 pm   Post subject: Why Does Ubuntu Appear To Be Smarter Than Windows 8?

So, here is what I found while dual-booting Ubuntu 13.04 and Windows 8 on a machine with 1TB HDD, 32GB SSD, 8GB RAM and Intel i7-3630 CPU. It appears that although for some specialized devices (such as Fingerprint readers) where Ubuntu lacks driver support (due to non-disclosure agreements and other related stupid s***), other common devices (such as iPads, printers, and other hardware on the machine) are easily detectable. I do not need iTunes to access music on my iPad under Ubuntu, and I do not need a CD to install drivers for my HP printer (just go to the Terminal and use "sudo hp-setup") and all the nice GUI shows up.

I believe that there is enough evidence now to wipe Windows 8 from my laptop for good, as I am going to be doing CS-related things at Waterloo anyway (starting September).
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
mirhagk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:04 pm   Post subject: RE:Why Does Ubuntu Appear To Be Smarter Than Windows 8?

When things work in Linux, they REALLY work. when they don't, they REALLY don't. Windows basically sits in the middle.
randint

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:48 pm   Post subject: RE:Why Does Ubuntu Appear To Be Smarter Than Windows 8?

What do you mean "Windows is in the middle"? Are you talking about closed-source/paid software?

How did the creators of Ubuntu manage to access the contents of an iOS device without a piece of software made by Apple, while Windows must have iTunes? Is it some agreement between Microsoft and Apple that are non-existent with the Ubuntu people?
Tony

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:26 am   Post subject: RE:Why Does Ubuntu Appear To Be Smarter Than Windows 8?

Some of the media/device managing software that is available on Ubuntu is also available in OSX and Windows flavours:
- http://banshee.fm/
- http://amarok.kde.org/

That is, you don't need iTunes on Windows either. It just happens to be the default one.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Insectoid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:06 am   Post subject: RE:Why Does Ubuntu Appear To Be Smarter Than Windows 8?

Quote:
How did the creators of Ubuntu manage to access the contents of an iOS device without a piece of software made by Apple

You can access it on Windows & OSX too. It's just hidden. A lot of stuff is hidden in Finder and Explorer by default, if you touch those files you can cause serious issues. If you open up a command line and look at the files with ps -x (or the equivalent on Windows), you'll see the files just fine.
randint

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:42 am   Post subject: RE:Why Does Ubuntu Appear To Be Smarter Than Windows 8?

So, you can have a Power Shell command that gives access to an iOS-devices, without the use of iTunes?
Insectoid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:59 am   Post subject: RE:Why Does Ubuntu Appear To Be Smarter Than Windows 8?

Yep. How do you think iTunes accesses it?

http://howto.wired.com/wiki/Get_Your_Music_Off_of_Your_iPod

It's only hidden in the GUI.
randint

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:05 pm   Post subject: RE:Why Does Ubuntu Appear To Be Smarter Than Windows 8?

Also, does Ubuntu tend to use more resources than Windows for similar tasks? I can hear the fan constantly running while in Ubuntu, when it does so a lot less frequently in Windows. Also, I noticed that it is hard to decrease the brightness of the screen to an "acceptable" level even though I went to "Settings" - Keyboard and Brightness (?)
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Insectoid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:28 pm   Post subject: RE:Why Does Ubuntu Appear To Be Smarter Than Windows 8?

Ubuntu generally uses less resources than Windows. The fan running is likely a driver issue. You can install lm-sensors and run it to see what your CPU/GPU/etc temperatures are at. Also try to find a better driver.
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 9 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: