Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Student Jobs with Computers
Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Nathan4102

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:12 pm   Post subject: Student Jobs with Computers

Lately, I've been looking around for part time student jobs working with computers to build some actual work experience leading up to university Co-op, and to make a bit of cash. Do you guys have any recommendations on how to find jobs like this? I've been watching sites like Kijiji, indeed, Workopolis, and a few other smaller sites, and every single computer related job I see requires a high-school diploma. Do part time jobs with computers for students even exist?

Thanks
Nathan
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:53 pm   Post subject: RE:Student Jobs with Computers

it's not clear what you mean by "jobs with computers". Lacking any experience and wanting part-time, you might consider any entry level position where the company just happens to work with tech.

For example we have a part-time intern that does something along the lines of a community moderator. It's not a technical job in itself, but it's an opportunity to hang out with a bunch of technical people in the office.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Nathan4102

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:05 pm   Post subject: RE:Student Jobs with Computers

Something like that would be perfect, it could probably lead to a more technical job in the future. Do you have any suggestions on how to find these jobs? Browsing job listings online isn't working for me so far :/
Tony

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:21 pm   Post subject: RE:Student Jobs with Computers

Leverage your network -- do friends of your parents know of any companies that might have such kinds of positions?

Reach out to companies directly. They might not be actively looking outside of their own network, but if you are interested enough in a specific company to make this very custom effort, it might be worth a try.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 4 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: