Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Fastest Typer???
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
2goto1

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:22 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Fastest Typer???

BigBear @ Tue May 21, 2013 7:30 pm wrote:
For typing code I recommend http://typing.io/

I was impressed by your scores until I tried the same test and realized that typing sentences is easier than code and also that the test is only one minute long, so you can just burst it.

Still impressive scores!

Neat site, my typing speed is much slower with any of those programming tests. Those tests are definitely more suitable for measuring programming speed...I've found in the bulk of my day to day work that I type internal and external communications far more than program source...I'd guess 100 times or more.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
BigBear

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:35 pm   Post subject: RE:Fastest Typer???

I've kept track of how much code I have written at the end of the day and it is surprisingly not a lot.

But I do write code and then change it and run it and change it and test and change it.

I still think it is important to be able to type quickly to keep up with your thoughts.

And also for communication and documentation.

I wouldn't go as far to say that a coder who can't touch type is like a swimmer who wears cargo shorts.

Coding is primarily about thinking. At least that's how I feel about it now.

I used to think it was really important and maybe when I know more about what I am doing and don't need to spend as much time as typing.

Hotkeys are important to productivity.
2goto1

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:42 am   Post subject: RE:Fastest Typer???

No doubt, if the typing process is slower than the thinking process then you have a bottleneck.
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 2  [ 18 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: