Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Stupid Drivers-Ed Website
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Nathan4102

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:55 pm   Post subject: RE:Stupid Drivers-Ed Website

Why is he able to take me to court for publicising their mistake though? He (or his IT team) is the one who put his customers privacy at risk, and, should it come to this, refused to fix it. As a customer with my personal data at risk, I should be able to take steps to get this fixed, no?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:00 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Stupid Drivers-Ed Website

Nathan4102 @ 19th May 2013, 9:55 pm wrote:
Why is he able to take me to court for publicising their mistake though?

Any one can take any one to court for anything. Tho that does not mean he would win the law suit. For example Lanschool threatened to take myself and CompSci.ca to court over details of an exploit to there software being posted here. They even had a real law firm draft the legal threat for them. However I should note that we are on good terms with Lanschool now and they are far more receptive to reports of exploits.

The point is even if they are in the wrong, they still may react poorly.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Nathan4102

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:04 pm   Post subject: RE:Stupid Drivers-Ed Website

Oh ya, I remember hearing about that. I guess i'll wait and see what they have to say tomorrow, Ill let you guys know what happens.
Nathan4102

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:08 am   Post subject: RE:Stupid Drivers-Ed Website

Finally got ahold of the CEO today, he said that a "Security Certificate" had expired, and they're working on renewing it. Since I know next to nothing about this web stuff, I accepted the excuse. Could an expired security certificate be the reason I can view everyones information with ease? I'm not too sure what action to take now, I guess I'll just give him some time to get it sorted.
md

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:20 am   Post subject: RE:Stupid Drivers-Ed Website

A "Security Certificate" probably means an SSL certificate and would have zero impact on this particular security issue.
Nathan4102

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:13 pm   Post subject: RE:Stupid Drivers-Ed Website

I guess the CEO forwarded me to his IT team after that call, another employee emailed me shortly after and told me this was a major security loophole, and they're working on a solution. Thanks for the advice guys, I'm glad this didn't come to a legal battle!
mirhagk

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:53 pm   Post subject: RE:Stupid Drivers-Ed Website

This is how things work in the business world, you e-mail the website and get to talk to either a random business person, or secretary, who talks to the IT team who stand there and mumble things to each other for a second, then the secretary/business person goes back and sends off an e-mail that makes no sense. Every once in a while you get lucky, and the IT team get's CC'd in, and one of the staff sees how dumb the response was, and takes a few minutes of their team to send a proper one.

I'm glad they recognized it as a major security loophole, and a solution should hopefully come out soon (which probably translates to in a couple months)
Nathan4102

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:52 pm   Post subject: RE:Stupid Drivers-Ed Website

Yeah, they said they'd have it patched in a couple of hours, and that was about 6 hours ago. Atleast they're working on it though, thats all I really wanted.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 2  [ 23 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: