Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Google result links take forever to load
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
mirhagk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:46 pm   Post subject: RE:Google result links take forever to load

Yeah I'm agreeing with you guys that it's a dick move on the ISP's part and SHOULD be illegal, but just because it's illegal with mail doesn't mean it's illegal with internet, those laws are quite behind where they should be.

So my original point is that they probably are allowed to (they shouldn't be allowed to), but my major point was that covering up other ads is for sure illegal, and you could get them on that anyways. It's 100% wrong, and should be illegal, but I'm saying you can already go after them for this because that part (covering other ads) is for sure illegal, whereas the other part might still be iffy legality-wise(it's not iffy morality-wise)
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:02 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Google result links take forever to load

mirhagk @ Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:46 pm wrote:
that part (covering other ads) is for sure illegal, whereas the other part might still be iffy legality-wise(it's not iffy morality-wise)

How so? That is, what is to prevent them from including that part in TOS and call it a day?

Injected content is injected content. I'm having a hard time seeing how you would argue that one iframe is okay, but the same iframe located 100 pixels to the side is a big no.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:32 pm   Post subject: RE:Google result links take forever to load

If your computer asks for information, and it doesn't respond with any of what it asked for, that is clearly a problem. Covering up ads isn't really what I was talking about, it was more about how they replaced ads, thereby not giving you what you asked for.

I have a feeling that there are laws around removing ads from content and redelivering that information, cuz I feel like media companies would care about that, use their money to get it in the states, then canada would copy it. Although I could be wrong, I'm just going on gut opinion, trying to find something that is currently illegal, not just should be illegal.
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:47 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Google result links take forever to load

mirhagk @ Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:32 pm wrote:
If your computer asks for information, and it doesn't respond with any of what it asked for, that is clearly a problem. Covering up ads isn't really what I was talking about, it was more about how they replaced ads, thereby not giving you what you asked for.

The effect is the same, it's just a matter of implementation.

If my browser requests a page of compsci.ca and the ISP delivers:
- a page of their own forums
- a page where compsci.ca ads have been replaced with ISP ads
- a page where ISP ads have been added in addition to compsci.ca ads

in all 3 cases the response was not what had been requested.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:45 am   Post subject: RE:Google result links take forever to load

If I remember correctly I use the same ISP and they would be a common carrier as it is over phone lines (i.e. they don't get the exemption that cable does). From my experience with them it is far more likely that they are just massively incompetent then trying to intercept and edit web traffic.

For the record I get no delay when making requesting to Google.ca or Google.com however I do use my own DNS and try to use HTTPS for everything possible. Try a different DNS and see if anything changes, also try a trace-route to Google.ca and Google.com and see what comes up.

If you are paranoid about your ISP looking at your Google search results try using HTTPS version of Google (https://encrypted.google.com/) or even try the https everywhere plugin (https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere). Or as Tony suggested use https://duckduckgo.com/ if you don't want any one tracking you at all.

As for the law, I believe Tony is correct and any kind of manipulation or editing of communication over a common carrier is illegal in Canada as per the Telecommunication Act, which should cover most dial-up, cell based and DSL ISPs. I am not sure, but even passively recording user's search requests and then selling that data might violate the Act for common carriers.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 2  [ 20 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: