Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 HS Co-op
Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Nathan4102

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:20 pm   Post subject: HS Co-op

Is High school Co-Op worth doing? It's that, or two extra compsci classes, I don't know which would be more useful... Let me know! Smile
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
mirhagk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:54 pm   Post subject: RE:HS Co-op

Co-ops are definitely worth doing, they can lead to jobs if you are good enough.

I strongly recommend anyone in high school to do a co-op if they can, unless they are looking at a unionized career (like nurses) or a life and death career (like a doctor, or pilot), as you'll gain WAY more experience and learn WAY more from the co-op than from sitting in a classroom, and it often leads to a job if possible.

If you can find any software companies in your area, they will be very open to taking you on, as long as you're mature and show you are independent enough. It's free labour for them, so as long as they don't have to baby you, they are basically getting something for nothing.
Nathan4102

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:40 pm   Post subject: RE:HS Co-op

I'm about 20 min from RIM, maybe I could get a placement there! Surprised

I'm also really interested in a part time job in computer science, so I'll definitely do co op! Thanks for the advice!
Cancer Sol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:47 pm   Post subject: Re: HS Co-op

What's Co-op? Gawd, I have to be more of an attentive listener in class, rather than being a day-dreamer :/
Or do they not talk about it in Grade 9 yet?
Nathan4102

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:52 pm   Post subject: RE:HS Co-op

I learned about it G10, it's when you miss 2periods of 11 or 12 to go to a workplace.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:42 pm   Post subject: RE:HS Co-op

You should be able to do it in any grade, but some schools would rather you wait until later grades, which is probably a good idea. In grade 11 if you have 2 credits free you basically go to a job, and work there, learning from a job, and earning credits. You can do a full-day co-op too if you want (which I did)
Nathan4102

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:07 pm   Post subject: RE:HS Co-op

In my school, you can only do G11 and 12, and only half a day unless you do it in the summer. My school has 5 manditory courses in grade 9 and 10, which doesn't really leave much room for any co-op.
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 7 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: