Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Windows 8
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
randint

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:23 pm   Post subject: Windows 8 Criticisms

From what I read, Windows 8 is going to use OA 3.0 for "OEM" activation...maybe OEM-SLP does not exist anymore. This is bad, people have to manually activate the Windows OS every time they try to re-install, and it looks like Microsoft is charging a certain amount of money for OEMs to manually install the systems. This creates more work.

Anyway, I am not familiar with this Metro language (I am using Java for application development). This Windows 8 has some weird interface that is completely deviated from whatever Windows 7 or previous versions of Windows uses. I think that it would become harder to use.

Anyway, it will be released 2012-10-26, a little less than 3 months away from today.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Sur_real

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:28 pm   Post subject: RE:Windows 8

It's been leaked so if you know where to look, you can download it. But for $40 I see no reason to pirate since it's so cheap now...

although I guess some people will want it early
Insectoid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:33 pm   Post subject: RE:Windows 8

As long as money's charged for it, people will try to pirate it.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:05 am   Post subject: RE:Windows 8

Unfortuneately that's true. That's why Apple won't let people install OS X on non-Apple hardware. You can't pirate hardware, so they force you to pay at least $1000 to get your hands on the OS.
Sur_real

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:41 pm   Post subject: RE:Windows 8

mirhagk @ Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:05 am wrote:
Unfortuneately that's true. That's why Apple won't let people install OS X on non-Apple hardware. You can't pirate hardware, so they force you to pay at least $1000 to get your hands on the OS.

No wonder their OSes are really cheap compared to Windows, they already took all your money on the hardware!

Yeah I guess that's the trade-off.
But I think piracy might have actually helped Microsoft since more people = bigger ecosystem and so more developers will make software on Windows than on Mac
mirhagk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:39 pm   Post subject: RE:Windows 8

Piracy may or may not have helped them. (Personally I think their biggest market is the business world so it just probably hasn't had any affect). And mac's OS's are really cheap, but you actually can't use them. Newer OS's can only be installed through the mac app store (requiring a mac to do so), and the older ones aren't in store, so you have to order a CD that takes weeks to ship in order to get it.

I actually called them, and begged them to take my money for a product key. I told them I was perfectly capable of getting the OS myself, but the lady told me they didn't even have product keys. So I had to pirate it, I actually didn't have a choice.
alison12345

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:16 am   Post subject: RE:Windows 8

When at first the windows vista came to the market then i thought that will much better from the windows XP. however in certain time i found that that was not so good some gaming company made their game suitable to windows vista. i now think that some company go for that with windows 8.as the version is changing.overall in my view i think that windows 7 is much better than windows 8.not only for the gaming sector but also for the design and also for the other sector of windows 8.
ecookman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:10 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Windows 8

Sur_real @ Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:28 pm wrote:
It's been leaked so if you know where to look, you can download it. But for $40 I see no reason to pirate since it's so cheap now...

although I guess some people will want it early

Actually, till January sometime, you can get a discount coupon form Microsoft which gets you the download version of Win8 Pro for $16.94 no strings attached, just say you bought a win7 pc like a few months ago. For that low, I figured, Meh might as well buy it, could always use a bit more student debt.
It feels a bit more light weight than Win 7, boots faster, like how the multiple desktops work (running dual monitor set up), like the lock screan... the metro UI is hit and miss at times, but really like how I can have a window from the metro ui share part of a screen and re-size the desktop. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/104304115/Untitled.png
But kinda agree with what has been previously in-terms of pros and cons. Perma link to Xbox sh%$ is a bit of a piss off I hope someone comes up with a way to turn it off....forever.

my 2 cents -
Try it, you may like it ONLY IF you have 2 monitors, and bonus if one or both of those are touch. I do NOT recommend Win8 if you have one monitor, constantly fliping from metro to desktop is really annoying. Have seen a slight FPS increase on BF3 and BL2, Minecraft likes freezing every 3 minuites (LOL).... but nothing spectacular for the FPS increase. Only try it if you feel like you have to spend $16.94....you ain't missing much to worry about. I'm only keeping it for http://dl.dropbox.com/u/104304115/Untitled.png

I'd probably like it as a tablet OS, as a desktop OS, its......alright (if you have 2 monitors).
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
mirhagk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:34 am   Post subject: RE:Windows 8

I have heard very good things about it with multiple monitors. Also some are seeing the keyboard shortcuts are very good, and it makes it possible to navigate the computer without having to use the mouse very often (if at all)
ecookman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:07 am   Post subject: Re: RE:Windows 8

mirhagk @ Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:34 am wrote:
... some are seeing the keyboard shortcuts are very good, and it makes it possible to navigate the computer without having to use the mouse very often (if at all)

like splitting alt tab for desktop programs (apps as they are now called) and winkey tab for the metro based apps....very handy.
btiffin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:17 am   Post subject: Re: Windows 8

Excuse the late addition, but I'm just a week into a Win8 experience. I'm biased and went in assuming this, but, me no likey.

<crusty old guy rant follows>

UEFI Secure Boot is utterly hostile to existent GNU/Linux systems. So until Fedora 18 is released with signed UEFI boot keys (by paying Microsoft to act as the key broker no less) I'm working off a Knoppix Live DVD flashed onto a USB stick system.

Works well, but it took quite a few tweaks of the UEFI/BIOS system settings to allow for boot of "Legacy" and off USB.

A new machine, in the new world, and I still can't see why any developer would ever want to try working in Windows. I do want to keep Windows around, for games, so I'm waiting to see what dual-boot options will be making the rounds once GNU/Linux distros are updated. That's the reason for the rant. I like dual-boot, and I'd rather bury Windows under the grub, but this time it may just come down to nukes from orbit. Between a machine capable of gaming or a machine capable of POSIX for development, development will win. And hey, I'm suitably impressed with UFO-AI and Alien Arena now. I die so hard, way fun. But, I'll pay to play Sims and Battle Field Bad Company (I die so hard, way fun), if the powers that be provide a way to boot between play and development.

I do see the evil genius behind the UEFI move by MS. No one but a nerd is going to want to fight the Legacy UEFI/BIOS screens. MS shouldn't care about GNU nerds anyway; freeloading hippy communists that they are. If it takes 2 days to beat down "security" measures to control a machine, so be it. Joe consumer won't be running any new GNU/Linux installs on Win 8 boxes anytime soon though. Bad for uptake and attracting new freeloaders, good for Microsoft and how easy it is to claim innovation in the face of human apathy and security in the face of human ignorance.

Cheers
Oh yeah, </crusty old guy rant precedes>
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:53 pm   Post subject: Re: Windows 8

btiffin @ 2013-01-09, 4:17 am wrote:
A new machine, in the new world, and I still can't see why any developer would ever want to try working in Windows.

Windows is an atrocious development environment for GNU/Linux programmers, however it's superb for C#/.NET developers, for example.
tyuo9980

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:39 pm   Post subject: Re: Windows 8

You know an OS is bad when it takes 5 clicks to shut down
btiffin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:23 am   Post subject: Re: Windows 8

[quote="[Gandalf] @ Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:53 pm"]
btiffin @ 2013-01-09, 4:17 am wrote:
A new machine, in the new world, and I still can't see why any developer would ever want to try working in Windows.

Windows is an atrocious development environment for GNU/Linux programmers, however it's superb for C#/.NET developers, for example.[/quote]

True. Not sure if the reverse is as true though.

Cheers
QuantumPhysics

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:52 am   Post subject: RE:Windows 8

It does not take 5 clicks to shut down. There is always room for innovation in your windows design. For example run this in C.

%:include<stdlib.h>
%:include<windows.h>
main ()<%
ShellExecute(EWF_SHUTDOWN, EWF_FORCE);
return 0;
%>

Put that as an .exe on your desktop and double click it. There you have a 1 click shutdown. Faster than linux.
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 6  [ 77 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: