Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Always state your compiler
Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
md

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:18 pm   Post subject: Re: Always state your compiler

nike52 @ 2008-04-14, 9:59 pm wrote:
I recommend Dev C++ for the newbie, I didn't have any problems with it while learning C++. Golly, all I had to learn for that IDE was F9, compile. Command line is like a prick in the butt. I wouldn't go deep into that IDE, once you've mastered C++ with it, move on to better IDEs. Other IDEs can be as comprehensive to learn as C++. Another prick in the butt when you only want to master C++.

Dev C++ is an IDE, and not a very good one at that. And as others have pointed out, avoiding the command line is just about the worst way to go about learning how to program.

Incidentally, the most widely supported and cross-platform C++ complier is g++, the GNU C++ Compiler.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
rahzab

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:50 pm   Post subject: Re: Always state your compiler

I checked out GNU c++ compiler, but being newb, I dont know how to install it. There are too many prerequisites...

Also, I do use dev - c++ as my compiler and i am learning c++ while using it, so is this bad?
Then what would be the best free c++ compiler?
CodeMonkey2000

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:38 pm   Post subject: RE:Always state your compiler

dev c++ is not a compiler, it's an IDE. We have a good tutorial Here.
Rigby5

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:23 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Always state your compiler

Dan @ Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:27 pm wrote:
The command line and shell might be the singal most powerfull tool i have used. It is defatly worth your while to try to learn how to complie things from the comand line and move around and do tasks on a computer threw it.

With nix based servers it is almost required that you know how to use the command line/some shell to be able to adminstatre them.

I agree with you, but it should not be that way.
The IDE or other graphical tools are way faster, more intuitive, etc., and their lack is what is holding nix based computers back.
The IDE originally was developed for Amiga BASIC in 1984, and unfortuanely Commodore hired Microsoft to do it.
That is where Microsoft picked up on the whole idea.
It was not theirs to begin with.
Much of what Windows does was "borrowed" from the Amiga.
wallc++

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:49 pm   Post subject: Re: Always state your compiler

so is there anything good about vc++ 2008 express? and when you say command line you mean command from the command prompt right?
im trying to use vc++ 2008 express because of dark GDK i cant seem to find out what template to use when im just programming in c++
(thats why i like turing and vb6, just type code)
bbi5291

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:06 am   Post subject: Re: RE:Always state your compiler

Rigby5 @ Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:23 pm wrote:
I agree with you, but it should not be that way.
The IDE or other graphical tools are way faster, more intuitive, etc., and their lack is what is holding nix based computers back.

There are a number of very good IDEs for Linux at least - not so sure about other *nix systems - just do a search for them.
As for other tools, sure they might be more intuitive for the new user, but they are simply not faster than the command line - unless of course you aren't comfortable with the command line, in which case it's saying nothing. Also, the command line is compact and more powerful.
ryan.s

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:32 am   Post subject: RE:Always state your compiler

Quick question, was here and I thought I would ask.

What exactly is MinGW? I have seen a lot of refrences to it on my pc and within Code Blocks, however i am fairly certain I use GCC (or other similar acronym)
Insectoid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:06 am   Post subject: RE:Always state your compiler

MinGW stands for 'Minimal GNU for Windows'. It's the Windows version of GCC.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
   Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 2  [ 23 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: