Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Computer Science Specialization
Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
SushieMaker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:14 pm   Post subject: Computer Science Specialization

I'm applying to Carleton but can't decide which computer science specializations I should consider.
Here is the progress I've made so far :
(by the way, I'm just assuming what some of these specializations are like, feel free to correct me)

Algorithms - Low-level programming, too mundane/tedious.
    Biomedical Computing - I have no interest in biology-related field.
    Computer and Internet Security - Boring, no freedom/imagination.
    Computer Game Development
    Management and Business Systems - Boring, no freedom/imagination.
    Mobile Computing
    Network Computing
    Psychology (Computer Science)
    Robotics - I never found particularly interesting enough to consider as a career.
    Software Engineering (Computer Science)

I've looked at the website, but there is very little information on each specialization, there's just a general BCS description on each of them.

Aside from computer science, my other choice was Industrial Design, because I want to do something new/unique/useful/creative.
So if I go into computer science, I'm going into it for the same reasons, which is why I crossed out anything that seemed mundane to me.

So far I'm mostly considering Computer Game Development, Mobile Computing, and Software Engineering, because it seems to me like they all offer great freedom.
Entrepreneurship seems very appealing to me, I can definitely see myself working with a small group making an indie computer game/mobile app/software.
Though I know this plan to "make something new and cool and make tons of money since it's your own business" doesn't sound very stable, so I would also like the opportunity to easily get an ok paying 9 to 5, fairly good job once I finish university.

Which specialization fit me the best? Also, I get the feeling that Computer Game Development is mostly about working in a large company, and not exactly contributing a lot to the main aspects of the game being developed. Does that sound right?

After reading what I just wrote I know feel like I just need the skills to be able to work on my own project, and have a stable job in the meanwhile.

Any help would be appreciated.
I've also looked at the following articles, and done a general search on this forum:
http://compsci.ca/blog/computer-science-at-carleton-university/
http://compsci.ca/blog/thoughts-on-video-game-programming-jobs/
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:29 pm   Post subject: RE:Computer Science Specialization

You need to challenge the assumptions that you are making.

Algorithms -- typically studied at a high level. A fundamental part of anything Computer Science. You can't do competent CS without at least basic understanding of algorithms.

Biomedical -- this is more of applied CS than anything. The area of application happens to be biomedical, but the study is still focused on computing. The algorithms for comparing words have been well studied, but how well do those perform when words are 3.2 billion (with a B) characters in length? (DNA profiling.)

Computer Security -- is something that will grant and take away the most freedoms in the years to come. http://www.fastcompany.com/3003498/syrias-internet-disconnected It takes great deal of imagination to competently deal with security issues.

Computer Game Development -- this, on the other hand, is where low-level programming really takes place. http://www.codeofhonor.com/blog/ is a fascinating read into how games like WarCraft and StarCraft actually came to be.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
crossley7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:30 pm   Post subject: RE:Computer Science Specialization

Also, don't think that business and management systems have no imagination. I have worked for my dad the last 2 summers developing systems for businesses. A few things to get from it are that

1. game programming and business software are designed in a similar manner. Don't think that because the word game is in it that there is less structure to it and that business means no creativity.

2. nearly every business needs software built for it to run (hence there being a large market)

3. almost all of these fields are extremely inter-related and I doubt coming out of highschool you really know which one appeals to you most so only apply now if you have to. You will likely want to choose after first or even second year which specialization feels right for you.
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 3 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: