Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 from college to a university, PLEASE HELP!
Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
ruben

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:08 am   Post subject: from college to a university, PLEASE HELP!

So I will summarize my story, I don't want to bore anyone

-I'm from El Salvador (Central America)
-graduated last year (early 2011)
-avg HS grades but nobody cares about Salvadoran schools
-started studying CS in local university (in El Salvador) while I was working full-time, excellent grades

-I want to study abroad so bad, I'm always reading about machine learning, have programmed multiple projects in my free time and I know that in my university I will never get to see machine learning or real CS.

-I try to apply to a Canadian university but:
extremely expensive for international students $40k+ a year (avg salary here is like $500 a month lol), and no one cares about grades achieved in El Salvador.

so this is what I did:

-applied to Seneca computer programming program (2 years)
(got accepted, leaving my country on Wednesday)

my plan is to get extremely high grades, so I can use them to apply to a top university..

is it possible? am I dreaming?

I'm doing this with a loan, if those 2 years pass by and I haven't achieved a scholarship of some type I will come back to my country with a huge debt I wont be able to pay until I'm old, but what scares me the most is to waste my potential.

Please help, any tips? is it possible to hop from a college to a university on the first semester?

thanks!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Panphobia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:28 am   Post subject: RE:from college to a university, PLEASE HELP!

I think that usually at the college you are going to, there is a counsellor that you can talk to about seeing what classes you need to transfer to a University of your choice, I am not totally sure, use google, it can be your friend.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:22 am   Post subject: RE:from college to a university, PLEASE HELP!

I have no special knowledge on the subject, but based on my observations and what I've heard... Even if you do well in Seneca (which has a decent enough programming program) you'll still be regarded as an international student. If you're hoping for a scholarship, it's possible, however keep in mind that most scholarships are probably limited to Canadian students. I'm not sure about alternatives, but I would do some research beyond internet forums (i.e. email somebody from the university) before giving up. There are plenty of people in the same situation as you.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:52 pm   Post subject: RE:from college to a university, PLEASE HELP!

What you are doing is exactly what many students in the same position do, and while I don't know how well it works for them, I know it is possible to do, just a lot more work.

My suggestion is to do the program at Seneca and try to get an internship/co-op while you're doing it. After you're done you hopefully will be capable of getting a job that should offset some of the tuition for university.

Your English seems pretty natural, which is a great sign, as that's the primary concern for employers. I might suggest thinking about not stressing the fact you're an international student when you apply for jobs (as that might make some employers wary, for the communication said above. Ideally employers shouldn't care and should interview you to determine communication instead of being biased from the resume, but realistically not every employer wants to interview candidates that they worry might not have perfect communication skills).

I hope you are dreaming, as dreams are how people accomplish things. If you work hard, it's possible to do. If you have a hard time finding a job, it's always possible to do unpaid internships (if you offer that to an employer, even on a short term basis, they'll most likely take you, because then they don't have a lot to use). A strategy I might use when applying to employers, and that I'd suggest trying, would be to say you'll work the first week for free, no strings attached so that they can know for sure whether or not you're a good candidate. Employers should see many bonuses in this. First of all, you're dedicated. Secondly they don't have very many risks (they only loose the time it takes to train you, they don't loose any money or anything else). Thirdly it helps figure out exactly you're skills, making salary negotiation much more fruitful.

As a bonus for you, it's usually really easy to work your ass off for a little while, and you'll easily come across as a very dedicated employee.
ruben

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:33 am   Post subject: RE:from college to a university, PLEASE HELP!

thanks for all the responses!

unpaid internships are actually a great idea!

any one knows if I can use my college grades instead of my school grades to apply to a university?
mirhagk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:54 am   Post subject: RE:from college to a university, PLEASE HELP!

I'd suggest contacting the university about that... not entirely sure but I'm guessing you can, because mature students can take high school equivalency courses in order to get into university.

But for sure contact the university and see.
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 6 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: