Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Toshiba laptop LCD screen broken
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
QuantumPhysics

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:37 pm   Post subject: Toshiba laptop LCD screen broken

I have a Toshiba satellite laptop
Model Number: S875D
Part Number: PSKBUC-00E008

I was coding a project for work, and the laptop fell off the desk I was working on (I don't know how).
I now am left with either buying a new laptop which is not an option or replacing it.
I am limited to 20 - 90$.
It is an LCD screen (I am not too sure).
RE: I looked up on google, I think it is a LED (I can provide pictures if requested)

I am looking forward to going to get one at tiger direct or Canada computers.
I can install it myself. I am inquiring about the price cost. I am really worried for I have not told my parents this.
The screen is cracked at the bottom, it turns on perfectly fine and even works (I can hardly see what I am doing on it of course), but the screen is flickering and flashing a bunch of luminescent colors and I cannot see half of it.

Please help me out here. I feel as if I am on a noose.
My work project is due in 7 days (Though I am really close to finishing) but all my work is saved on the computer. I did not get a chance to transfer it a USB (Stupid me).

Sincerly,
~QP
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Zren

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:31 pm   Post subject: RE:Toshiba laptop LCD screen broken

I've no experience replacing a screen, but...

I doubt you'll solve this problem in less than a week unless you've done something of it's like in the past. So your priority is to retrieve your data.

You have two options, depending on your other hardware.

1) Hook your laptop up to another screen.

For this you would obviously need another monitor, and the correct ports to connect them together. You also run the risk of keeping the laptop screen powered/connected which I don't know is a good thing.

2) Remove harddrive and hook it up to another computer.

This is pretty easy on most laptops. Look for your manual for which of the covers + screws you need to undo on the bottom of the laptop.

For this, you'd also need another computer to attach the drive to, along with it's connectors. Most likely, it'd be a SATA drive. So you'd need a recentish PC that also has that connection. You could also take apart a external drive bay and see if it uses a SATA drive.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:35 pm   Post subject: RE:Toshiba laptop LCD screen broken

You can't transfer the files now? Worst case scenario you should be able to pop that hard drive into another computer and transfer using that machine.

Amazon or ebay are probably your best bet, although you could just contact Toshiba or a local repair shop and see if you can buy parts from them. (probably not, but it might be worth a shot).

Getting it in 7 days is going to be an issue, you're going to pay for that, and amazon will probably be your best friend there.

Not sure exactly on the part number, you should go more in depth, but a quick search found this:
http://www.amazon.com/Glossy-Screen-Toshiba-Satellite-C875D-S7222/dp/B009EW1LWQ/ref=sr_1_53?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1351654473&sr=1-53&keywords=S875D++screen

Note that for this product amazon quotes $50 on shipping alone for a shipment in 2-4 business days (Monday next week, so it'd give you one day to work on your project)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aag/details?ie=UTF8&asin=B009EW1LWQ&isAmazonFulfilled=&isCBA=&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&orderID=&seller=A20FSQL9O0VS6G&sshmPath=shipping-rates#aag_shipping

Don't even try to finish this on that laptop, get the data off the laptop and work elsewhere with it.
goru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:11 am   Post subject: Re: Toshiba laptop LCD screen broken

QuantumPhysics @ Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:37 pm wrote:
I have a Toshiba satellite laptop
Model Number: S875D
Part Number: PSKBUC-00E008

I was coding a project for work, and the laptop fell off the desk I was working on (I don't know how).
I now am left with either buying a new laptop which is not an option or replacing it.
I am limited to 20 - 90$.
It is an LCD screen (I am not too sure).
RE: I looked up on google, I think it is a LED (I can provide pictures if requested)

I am looking forward to going to get one at tiger direct or Canada computers.
I can install it myself. I am inquiring about the price cost. I am really worried for I have not told my parents this.
The screen is cracked at the bottom, it turns on perfectly fine and even works (I can hardly see what I am doing on it of course), but the screen is flickering and flashing a bunch of luminescent colors and I cannot see half of it.

Please help me out here. I feel as if I am on a noose.
My work project is due in 7 days (Though I am really close to finishing) but all my work is saved on the computer. I did not get a chance to transfer it a USB (Stupid me).

Sincerly,
~QP

i know that there is no replacing for physical damage. You can buy it from the market if you want. that will be good for you.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 4 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: