Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Google Code-in 2012
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:23 pm   Post subject: Google Code-in 2012

http://www.google-melange.com/gci/homepage/google/gci2012

Quote:

The Google Code-in is a contest to introduce pre-university students to the many kinds of contributions that make open source software development possible. It runs from November 26, 2012 to January 14, 2013.

Not so much an algorithms contest, as a chance to work on some bite-sized open source project tasks
Quote:

Google Code-in is intended to help students who may have wanted to get involved in open source but didn't know where to start

Although there are points and prizes involved. Although I'd suggest that experience is the most valuable part of this.

Reading over the http://www.google-melange.com/gci/document/show/gci_program/google/gci2012/terms_and_conditions -- participation is open to high school students, including Canada (but excluding Quebec); although a parental consent is required. Presumably because the tasks are actual real-world tasks, that could be considered to be "work".
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:11 pm   Post subject: RE:Google Code-in 2012

Sounds like a mini Google Summer of Code but with a competitive twist. It's a shame this kind of program was not around when I was in high school.

It looks like you can win a certificate and t-shirt for simply getting one task approved. This would be a great way to pad your resume with some relevant non work experience before you even get to university.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
QuantumPhysics

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:20 pm   Post subject: RE:Google Code-in 2012

Uber cool! I want to try it out.

@dan -> Nice posting time. Make a wish.

I laughed how they do not allow entries from Quebec. The grand prize is a trip to Google headquarters. That would be my life's greatest achievement, I would pass out on the floor once stepping into the Google Building from overload of excitement. Even the Google T-Shirt would be amazing!
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:55 pm   Post subject: RE:Google Code-in 2012

You might notice that very few contests allow Quebec. http://business.financialpost.com/2011/09/08/why-many-contests-exclude-quebec-residents/ But this is getting us sidetracked from what matters most -- you can drive to Google's Waterloo office http://www.google.com/about/jobs/locations/waterloo/
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
QuantumPhysics

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:36 pm   Post subject: RE:Google Code-in 2012

I don't own a care for another year. I'm 16.
Is that their main office of operations though?
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:50 pm   Post subject: RE:Google Code-in 2012

It's their largest office in Canada. Company's headquarters are in Mountain View, California. Though they have a variety of offices all over the place (besides the two already mentioned, I also visited one in Kirkland, Washington)
QuantumPhysics

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:59 am   Post subject: RE:Google Code-in 2012

Well the grand prize of the contest is to visit the main headquarters. That's the reason I find it. MORE awesome
xxxSepirothxxx

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:29 pm   Post subject: RE:Google Code-in 2012

I would love to participate in this. Smile
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
y4y

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:13 am   Post subject: RE:Google Code-in 2012

Thanks tony definitely interested in this.
I made the switch to linux recently.
how did you guys get into open source contribution? I tried but all I could find were mostly complex projects in github or sourceforge didn't have a clue where to start..
but then again i gave up fairly quickly.

btw shouldn't this be under contests?
QuantumPhysics

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:02 pm   Post subject: RE:Google Code-in 2012

I created a distribution of GNU + Linux
btiffin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:11 am   Post subject: Re: Google Code-in 2012

y4y; My particular experience was first as a fan boy of OpenCOBOL, then adding snippets of documentation leading to a fair sized book. Over a year or two, I started getting keys to the upstream project home sites. Now, with the loss of contact with the primary developer, I've somehow become a top-dog in the OpenCOBOL project (and don't deserve it, but I'll keep cheerleading and trying to keep the project moving forward). Many people are involved, and it is really cool to watch.

My initial contributions were unsolicited posts to the project's home forum. It grew from there, and one day I got a note from the lead developers, and the work is now linked to from the home page menus.

In short, adding documentation is likely one of the easiest ways to get involved. While writing up docs, learn a bit, then when the brain has steeped in the system, try writing some code and see how it integrates. The principles of most existent projects are pretty used to 'flash in the pan' contributors and are leery of such folk. Don't expect to get keys until you put in some time (years) to prove yourself and that you are in it for the run long with a sustained interest. And it helps to be positive, even in the face of disagreements and seeming lowtide days for the project's interest.

I'll add that the smaller the project contributor base, the more likely your contributions will be noticed. So it might be wise to contribute to some smaller projects that can use the help, gain a little online cred and then use that cred to crack open the door to the bigger projects that may have more appeal. Also adding, that the principles of open source systems are usually fairly skilled developers, and will have no qualms at criticizing any sub-par works. Accept that, learn, improve and try again.

Cheers
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 11 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: