Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Getting ready for tertiary education.
Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
xxxSepirothxxx

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:38 am   Post subject: Getting ready for tertiary education.

As with most people here, my aspiration is to attend UW (nothing wrong with that, right? Laughing ). I'm in 10th grade right now, and need help with mapping out my course-life for the next 2 years. I've want to major in CS, and looked at the pre-requisites for it.

The ICS courses aside, they want solid 80+ marks for 4U math (Advanced Functions & Calculus), 4U English, and another 4U class. Currently, my plan is a little bit of clutter, since I still need my minimum 1 Arts Credit (I'm in Ontario, I'm not sure if they applies elsewhere). I'm hoping I can also complete 3U English during summer school. I do plan on making a map to chart out how my next few years go. I am just looking for some help to optimize my semesters (placing one course in a different semester), I'm really confused, honestly.

I'm also not clear as to what the AIF form for UW entails, to my understanding it's a form for you to add your personal interests and extra-curricular accomplishments
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:48 pm   Post subject: RE:Getting ready for tertiary education.

General advice: solid marks across the board are preferred. 80% English + 80% Math is better than 70% English + 90% Math; even though both average out to be the same.

AIF is pretty much that -- a form to add a bit extra personal information (plus a recommendation letter from your Math teacher; so try to establish a good relationship. You'll get a chance to preview AIF forms when they'll become available for the next batch of University applicants this year)
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
crossley7

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:33 pm   Post subject: RE:Getting ready for tertiary education.

AIF basically lets you say all the stuff you have done that isn't necessarily indicated by a mark in a course. So extra curriculars and contests and things like that can be mentioned. As a slightly more detailed expansion/addition of what Tony said.

As long as you can have an average in probably the high 80's with relatively good marks (strength in maths is preferred) that is what you are going to want to go for.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:35 am   Post subject: RE:Getting ready for tertiary education.

I'm going to warn you again about Tony's point. All my math marks were high eighties or ninities, and for my 2 comp sci courses I had 98% and 95%. My average worked out to about 88% but I didn't get in because my english mark was only a 70%. It kinda sucked, but I had decided against waterloo anyways (I'm poor and can't afford to live on residence)
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 4 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: